1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Amp now!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GoGoAsh, Mar 2, 2008.

1. GoGoAsh

GoGoAsh

Mar 2, 2008
    Derby, Uk
    hey,

i'm about to start gigging with my double bass, i need an amp head suitable for double bass and electric bass.

Ideally i think 2 channels would be a good idea to keep different settings for each bass and maybe 2 inputs to reduce noise/time/faffing about when switching instruments between songs.

I'm thinking an Ampeg portabass 800, i'd love a Mark Bass but do they offer a 2 input/2 channel model??

any suggestions?

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I just bought a Phil Jones flightcase and I use an old GK 400rb with a 1x12 or 4x10 or 2x15. But neither of these offer 2 channels, but they do sound good with both electric , acoustic and EUB and URB . All my other amps are sitting in my local shop on consignment. The big things for me are portability and speed of setup and one handed carrying

The GK400rb is just like my old GK200mb except louder
    The GK200mb and GK MB150 were the jazz URB standards for many years. And I tried to buy back my 200mb from a friend and he wont sell it.

Check out YouTube about the Phil Jones flightcase
    This covers 80% of my work
    Not sure yet about outdoor shows, the new Phil Jones BG-300 might be better. But its not available until summer. The Phil Jones cabinets are a little too heavy for me. If the 6B were alot lighter I might have got that and their new head or used it with my GK400rb. The Phil Jones Suitcase would work well for you, because it sounds good and it has 2 channels , but unfortunately for me its too cumbersome for onehanded carrying

The only other cabinet I am interested in is a EA Wizzy
    But havent had a good chance to try it out live

Thanks

Robert

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I bought an Acoustic Image Focus 2R last year and I'm real happy with it. Most of my gigs are on upright. I use a SansAmp BDDI in front of it for slab.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    +1. The end of the line. Bee's knees.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Look at this thread here, you'll find it very helpful. This question has been discussed at great length here for years and there is a ton of great experience already written here worth reading.

Some other questions. Can you fill out your profile so we know where you are starting from? How much bread are you spending, what sound are you after, what kind of stuff do you already have? etc. We can help in greater detail when we have some place to start.

There is no "best" thing for every player. Double Bass amplification is very player/bass/situation specific and nothing like electric bass amplification. As such we'll need some context to make recomendations of any value.

Neither of the amps you mentioned are popular doubling amps for string bass players but they both could work depending on the context and the associated gear.

The most important thing you can do before spending any money is to stop thinking like an electric bass player when amplifying a Double Bass. It won't work. You must relearn how to approach the use of amp and speakers with the DB so you can play with fidelity and accuracy without feedback or sounding like crap.

It's a big mess as you'll soon see.

So where are you starting from?

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Soother words were never spoken. :)

7. natbers78

natbers78

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    I have experience with the Walter Woods, Acoustic Image, and the 2 channel Markbass (which is called the LMK). I enjoyed playing through them all.

8. GoGoAsh

GoGoAsh

Mar 2, 2008
    Derby, Uk
    Hey, thanks all for the replies,

let's see, where i'm at:

i've been playing guitar and bass for around 8 years and been in various punk rock bands, my electric bass is an italia mondial sportster, and i play in a punk rock style through varying amps from a peavey 115 combo (which sounds aweful), to an old trace elliot head (which sounds amazing).

i've only recently managed to afford a double bass and i bought the only white laminate bass with a piezo i could find -hence we're not talking quality here.

over the past 6 months i've integrated the double bass into my current band - a punk/psychobilly hybrid.

so really what i need advice on is buying a head i can use for both basses and switch easily between songs.

which leads me to believe i want a 2 channel amp with independent Eq for each channel.

i'm loooking at spending up to £800 on a head alone, ideas anyone?

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yeah, thanks for the pep talk. :)

Doh ... You might could explore adding a 2-channel blender/mixer in front of one of the single channel amps you already have. Before I bought the Focus 2R I used a D-TAR Solstice for blending a pickup and a mic. You could do the same thing w/ an electric bass and an upright. Good sound (i.e. no coloration, accurate). Beacoup output routing options if you work w/ a PA a lot. Phase reversal switches for each channel. Less expensive than a new head.

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Scratch that. You want to set the Bee on fire. Don't waste your money.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    +1 for a blender. I use the Radial Bassbone: http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product_details.cfm?ProdID=1374

For psychobilly, you aren't really concerned with the "holy grail" of double bass amplification, i.e., "my acoustic tone, only louder. You just need to get loud and full without feedback, right?

So the Bassbone virtually turns a single channel amp into a dual channel amp. And it has that advantage that, if you are just playing one instrument, it acts as a footswitch to toggle between the two channels. So you can dial in different tones for the same instrument and footswitch between them.

With the bassbone, you still might need an impedance matching preamp to deal with the piezo pickup on your upright. I really like FDeck's high pass filter / preamp, but he doesn't sell outside the US. There are any number of good preamps, though, that aren't that much money. Even the Boss Bass EQ pedal (and some other of their pedals) turns out to be of some benefit, as it has an input impedance of 1 megaohm. But your amp might already be fine ... I don't know what you're playing through.

Good luck!

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    That's much more helpful.

A big +1 on the Bassbone.

It possible to use that with the Trace head you have depending on the head. Which is it? What cab do you have?

You may want to keep the head and buy a fantastic cabinet to go with. I'm not sure what's readily available where you are but I'd look for a 210 with tight but strong low end.

Around these parts the Euphonic Audio NL210 would give you a nice usable loud sound for that stuff.

The PV is a nice practice rig and would work ok with the DB in a pinch but It's not much use for what you are doing.

14. GoGoAsh

GoGoAsh

Mar 2, 2008
    Derby, Uk
    Cheers liam and the like for suggesting the bassbone, i'm ordering one tonight!

15. GoGoAsh

GoGoAsh

Mar 2, 2008
    Derby, Uk
    ok i'm done, ordered a bassbone and a little mark II.

just gonna have to wait on getting that high pass filter tho