Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp setup do you use with your Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dpheise, Jun 3, 2004.

1. dpheise

dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I recently purchased a Sadowsky standard four string. I was wondering what kind of amps other Sadowsky owners use?

Thanks!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    geez, where does one begin? :D

sadowsky's sound great with anything!

when i first started out, i thought my sadowsky was rather bright, so i used a Kern IP777 w/ my Acme cabs for a smoother sound.

then i realized i was covering up too much of the Sadowsky goodness and my tone was too dark. so, switched to an Aguilar DB680 / Stewart / GS112 setup which evolved into an 680 / Stewart / Acme setup.

if anything, soon, realized Sadowsky gear almost goes hand in hand with Aguilar gear. just yesterday after rehearsal, stopped by my local GC which had an Aguilar 680 / 728 / GS112 (x2) setup, and WOAH MOMMA, tonally bliss. the brighter sheen of the sadowsky melded beautifully with the GS112's rich thick tone.

but these days, i'm loving a pure sadowsky sound. the preamp is tuned oh so nice, and pickups are of the best i've heard (dimarzio ultra jazz, barts, fralin nonwithstanding). on some gigs, i've merely plugged into the PA w/o a rig! too bad the monitors couldnt handle it. :meh:

so, to replicate a more suited basscentric sound onstage, i went with the super clean, super sweet Avalon U5 DI, with an Acme B-4, for that SOOOPER huge sadowsky sound.

for the smaller gigs, i have my Acoustic Image Clarus w/ a pair of Acme B-1 1x10's. but i'm upgrading to a Focus 600, so if y'all are interested, my Clarus is up for sale. ;)

after trying the all aguilar setup, i've been thinkin' about pickin' up a GS112 for myself, but pretty happy with the Acmes, and the slam of the low B i get with 'em.

also, try www.basstasters.com

our good tonal freak, Vanselus, used a Sadowsky vintage 5 jazz for the clips, and i'm sure you'll find a nice preamp or head to go along with it.

good luck!

3. Sadowsky jazz 4 or PJ4
    Kern IP-777 preamp
    Crown K2 amp
    Euph Audio VL-210 cab
    Furman PL-8 tuner/power conditioner

4. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I know that few of you American guys have the opportunity to try the MarkBass stuff but I love the way my Sadowsky NYC 4 sounds with my Little Mark set ABSOLUTELY flat ... perfect for club gigs!
    And ... uhmm ... GAS strikes again and I'm waiting the upcoming Aguilar AG500!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It depends on the gig, what mood I'm in, what time we play, etc bit it's usuallu one of these:

Fender Bass Man 400 210 Combo

Ampeg B2R
    Ampeg SVT-410HLN
    (prefered setup)

Ampeg SVP-PRO
    Ampeg SVP-1500
    Ampeg SVT-410HLN
    Carvin RL210

All the amps are left flat.

6. When my Sad PJ/4 arrives sometime soon (I hope :rolleyes: ) I will be using my Walter Woods Ultra with Bergantino HT/EX 112 either together or seperate, or Berg NV610. I also have the Demeter VTBP201S with the Crest CA9 rig. If my Sad doesn't sound great with that stuff I don't think I'll keep it. I'm not changing cabs and amps for a long time. My Lakland USA Joe Osborn 4 with Lindy Fralin pups sounds out of this world, so I can't imagine any bass sounding bad unless it's a bad sounding instrument..... I'm under the contention that if my instrument sounds good/great it will be projected with the gear I have. :D

7. I to have an Avalon U5 (in a 4 space ATA with a Tuner and a PL-PLUS) that I run straight to a console if I have good PA support (always) and good stage monitoring (almost always). Very easy setup wise to say the least. Fortunately, it works out that this is my rig most of the time BUT...when I know that I need a Stage rig I insist on using my own which is a 6 Space ATA carrying a PL PLUS, a tuner, a Demeter HBP-1 (which also has a very sweet DI out), and a Crest CA9 (at the suggestion of Jim Bergantino) to drive a Bergantino HT 112 and an EX 112. Very small, portable, lightweight rig, that goes anywhere, gets some pretty weird looks until I hit the first couple of notes! People can't believe the sound that comes out of this rig....

it is very impressive to say the least.....produces very accurately the tone of the bass (Sadowsky V4 #4045 NYC)but I must say that if you really want to hear exactly what your bass sounds like from the lowest to the highest notes you might also try Accugroove cabs....they are pricier and a bit heavier but they very accurately reproduce what you put into them. I have played the same Bass through the same rig into a pair of TRI-112 and then through a Whappo Jr. (I preferred the pair of Tri-112's) IMHO the Accugroove is a very HIFI reproduction (not in a bad way)of your bass....again, not in a bad way...the Bergies seem to bring out the vibe of the bass....not a bad thing either, just a different mojo....I prefer the Bergies....but for strictly studio work or for very precise solo work I would probably prefer the Accugroove.......depends on your application I guess....

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tom,

did you try the new Tri 112 cabs, or the older ones? heard the newer ones use a neo-speaker.

care to elaborate more on the cabs?

9. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I just joined the Sadowsky family!

I must say that from all the clips on basstasters.com I am going with a Clarus head for my new Sadowsky! I currently have 2 Epi 110's UL and an iamp 350. I love the sound but have really gotten into this "one trip to my car" load in thing. So, I am going even lighter with the clarus...I think it will be enough with these cabs and PA support. Shoot, I have to check my budget first, the new Sadowsky broke the piggy bank...My only option may be to play through the PA until i get some more money saved up!

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Joker, any updates? Still using the U5? I need something really small and cheap right now, would you say the Clarus is gonna do it for me? Enough juice for a Sadowsky 4?

BTW...I heard that Sadowsky was talking to Acoustic Image about producing a Sadowsky amp with tubes. I think it would be very similar to the Clarus but, again, with tubes!

11. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Heads
    Walter Woods Ultra
    Mesa Pulse 600
    1972 Ampeg SVT

Cabs
    Acme B-2
    Goliath 3
    Bag End 2 x 12 cab
    Bag End single 15 Cabs( 2 of them )

Combo
    Mesa Scout Combo

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, still lovin' that straight to speakers to my ears tone that my Avalon affords me.

in terms of transparency and translation of the punch factor, the Clarus also does a great job. and cant answer if the wattage of the Clarus would be enough for your gigging situation, but with cabs other than my Acmes, regular cabs were plenty loud for me.

i've tried a Clarus with a pair of Bergie 1x12's, and had the walls floor, windows, not to mention my teeth rattling at Rudy's Music. even good ol' Pete McFerrin was using a pair of Aguilar GS112's with his Clarus, and even he said it was pretty darn loud.

and didnt know it was AI helping Roger design their line of amps, but i'd like to get some confirmation of that.

13. I think Roger has been working with some amp guru but nothing final yet. Best to ask the man himself.

14. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i've gigged at various times with my sadowsky vintage 4 and:

-- 680/728
    -- 680/PLX 1602
    -- SVT Classic
    -- GK 800RB
    -- GK 700RB-II
    -- SWR 750
    -- iAMP800
    -- Peavey TNT something or other
    -- Bag End
    -- Epifani

never ... not once ... did i ever stand there playing and thinking, "oh, this sounds like crap." :p

a great bass is the most important part of the equation, IMO ...

i miss my 680, though ... (there's one on ebay for $799 BIN ... that's the lowest price i've ever seen for one of those).

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've never heard my Sadowky sound better than with the Euphonic Audio iAMP 800 & NL-210. The nuance of that amazing Sadowsky sound comes through crystal clear, and the tight, musical lows never get muddy or lost. Might not be the best sounding thing in the living room, but on a gig or in the mix, there's nothing I've ever played that sounds better. I guess that's pretty obvious though, since I sold the Fodera, the Elrick is for sale, and I sold the Aguilar DB680/DB728. I guess you really DO keep what you like :D (unless you're Joker, then you just sell it all to buy more) :D just jokin' buddy!

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hardy har har... :smug:

just hope you dont catch wind of my current drumming obsession. :bag:

but cant go wrong with EA stuff, too! love the mojo my sadowsky creates with my iAMP-800 into my Acme cabs.

17. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am intrigued by the Clarus, I am just afraid that I will blow it up like you did, Joker! Has this happened to anyone else?

It seems like the Clarus really allows the Sadowsky sound to shine through. I may look at an iamp350. I already had one and sold it though. It seemed to color the sound slightly and lose a little of that Sadowsky sheen, listen to basstasters.com to see what I mean. My current favorite clip is the JDI or the CLarus.

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I don't know anything about the new Sadowsky amp or AI's involvement in it, but I gotta say that a Clarus or Focus with a preamp tube doesn't make much sense to me at all. It's already got quite a tube-like sound as it is.

Now, a Clarus/Focus with Roger designing the EQ/preamp section sounds very interesting...but I can only imagine what the mark up would be :rolleyes:

PS, the JDI clips sound wicked bad! I'm thinking about a Focus and a JDI for my Bergs.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey marc,

cant get thru to your PM. clean it out!

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    it's been my experience that my Sad needs very little help to sound good.

To that end I get my best results with either an Acme cab or straight to the board without an amp.

I've NEVER had it sound bad. I've used it with a bunch of stuff. For some reason to my ear whatever voiced cabinet I use seems to take away more than it gives back. The exception being with slap.

You slap a Sadowsky through an SWR rig set flat and you'll think you're swinging Gods own thumb.