Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT AMP SHOULD CHOOSE FOR REAL JAZZ&FUNKY NOISE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Misanthrope, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    what tube amp will u preffer...? i want that beautifull blunt and flat noise while i am playing a slap but i also love jazzy noise... I am very confused... is here anyone else who have a experiences with George Dennis?
    here is the amp i`ve been checking out.. it seem great to me...(200W head, 2cabs.. altogether cca 2000USD)

http://www.george-dennis.cz/bass/bass1.html

there is a possibility to setup a warming of noise.. make some pre setting and I`ve found there over 20 different noises in 1 hour while i was trying it... it`s the best amp i ever saw but i don`t know what for example Ampeg or SWR should do.. please gimme your tips.

thanx
    Miss.Ant.

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I've heard the name George Dennis before but I've never seen or heard one. That head 'looks' impressive. I'm curious to see what it sounds like.

To try and answer your question, a lot of guys who play slap tend to prefer a solid state amp vs. a tube amp because the solid state amp will give a little quicker response and have more bite than a tube amp. But the tubes will definitely give you the warmth you desire.

3. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    hey dude.. this is all i know.. i am in love with tubes..i also played a george dennis.. it was awesome..but i never played ampeg or SWR... no experience here...so.. i am confused...

i think i will buy this 1... it`s horrible heavy but u should use it very well... but well.. i can buy some stupid effect at it and use it while i am slapping..that also seem like a good way...

4. how much is juist the head.iam looking and cant find out.also can the be shiped to mass .

5. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    head costs around 35 or 36.000 CZK.. 1 USD = around 32 CZK...

but G.dennis have a dealers in the states.. but there it will be more expensive..count +50%
    that`s what a owner of company told me

6. iam lost how much for a head in us.i did get how to convert.

7. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    Mhmmm.. George Dennis is a czech mark.. if something made in cz costs here 1000 bucks and then someone else will ship it to some store in U.S. it will take some money. Count there a U.S. dealers and local music stores, taxes etc.. So something what is 1000 USD here will be around 1500 USD there.... Easy isn`t it? That`s same with importing other marks from U.S. or other countries. I bought my Warwick for 1000 bucks when U.S. price was $1300.

Btw do anyone knows more about ampeg , SWR or some else fine amps for jazz and funky?? I am pretty lost in those amps.. my trace elliot toy is maybe 900W but it sounds like 200 ;-( no way.. give an advice please ! THNX.
    Miss.Ant.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jazz an' the Funk?

Two choices spring to mind, EBS and Eden. Both have various models available, and both kick it with the best (heck, they are the best, IMHO)

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't know SWR or EBS too well, but I do know that an Ampeg always sounds like an Ampeg - it tends to colour the sound. I have a Trace Elliot also, and I prefer that amp's sound for jazz, funk and stuff like that.

For slap, maybe give an Eden, G-K or Aguilar a try. The Ampeg sound isn't as tight, although admittedly I haven't tried their new amps.

I'd have to agree that solid-state may be the way you want to go for slap (and it's not as heavy)... you can do the reverse and get a tube pedal - there's lots of 'em on the market.

Catch ya later!

10. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    Thank u for comments guys. U say that I should buy a solid state amp for slap, but I need something really variable. I do not like my Trace Elliot... I`ve tried maybe 20 different amps, combos, cabs... and I hate it. I have TE preamp only because it was deal of the life and it`s ok for practicing... But I can`t get that clear noise out. Sound I want is supposed to be a little coloured, clear and how to express it... rounded... From musicians having that noise I can`t remember anyone... They are all too specific... I am person who mostly turns treble up and basses down there. Ofcourse there is a biiiig battle with my warwick and TE *(it`s almost imposible to find out some normal sound on TE in this way), and I am trying to catch up warmity in the middles...

I didn`t liked Marshalls and Fender`s (played some older types), TE`s (maybe thats strange, but their combo`s were sounding better to me than amps... hm maybe I should buy new 4x10“ cab), Acoustic was relative ok, Hartke was interesting (but I didn`t have a time to check it seriously), EBS (interesting, but where to check it seriously), Warwicks combos are in same level as Trace Elliot (too agresive and it gives me less clear noise as TE... it seem less sensitive or what), Carvin (gr8t, but George Dennis was cheaper, more powerfull and gave me more variability)... I do not remember names of other amps I`ve tried.. there were some more... What about Ashdown? I heard about them from one TB... grrr... why are not some emulators on the web where u choose a guitar, wood, pickups and amp u want and it will make u a sound u will get out... ;-)

Btw don`t u know also about some cheap racks? Mine is pretty heavy...

Thanks for advice guys....