what amp should i buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CannonKing, Mar 4, 2002.

1. I've been playing bass for a year and I've decided I'm due for an amp upgrade. I currently have a 15 watt guitar amp of unknown brand. I am in a band and thus need a bit (lot) more power than I have, as we have been asked to play at several parties. I have no idea what brand or type of amp to buy, but I'm currently thinking that a seperate head and cab might be the way to go. I have a Yamaha 370 bass if that makes any difference and about a grand to spend
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Go out and try something see if you like the sound first.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    here's what you should buy:

SKB 12 space shockmounted rack
    Furman Power conditioner
    Korg DTR-1 tuner
    Xwire digital wireless
    Aguilar DB680 preamp
    Aguilar DB728 poweramp

SWR Henry the 8x8

what's that? you don't have the 6k that rig would run? crap...then i don't know ;)

first figure out what kind of tone you want. maybe find players who have tone that you like and then find out what they play (that can be very decieveing though based on what instrument they play and the tone in their hands). then just sift through the forums to get a feel of what certain amps sound like (warm, hi-fi, etc...) but again, one persons boomy is another persons fat....also get an idea of how much power you need. normally you need 4x the guitar player's amp power, but i'd add a little bit on top of it just for headroom purposes.

then figure out how much money you have.

then go down to the music store and say "i'm looking to buy an amp," play everything they have, and buy what sounds best to you.