Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp should I ge?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jorge, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    Hi, I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions about a new amp. This would be my first step up to gig quality gear since I only own a cheap Crate. My maximum budget is $1100 and I want some recomendations. I do not want to spend that much money on a combo so only stacks please.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Based on the limited info you have given, here is what I suggest....

iAMP500.......$750
    Epifani 112...$350

-Mike

3. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    To narrow it down, I wouldn't mind getting a pre/power rig such as an ampeg svp-pro and a Behringer EP1500 power amp. I could also get a Ampeg 410 for about $500. I would go over my budget a little, but I think it will be worth it. Any further advice on this rig.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm sure you'll be quickly inundated under Behringer comments, so I'll skip it.

It depends what tone you are going for and what kind of volume you need really. Personally I'd get a GK1001RC-II and a Neo212 cab. Shipped from riksmusic.com its about $1170. I love the sound from the 1001RB-II and the new 212 Neo is getting awesome reviews everywhere I look.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    In that case, upgrade to the iAMP800, and get an Epifani UL110 to go with the 112.

-Mike

6. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, but for that price i would rather get a svt-3 pro

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Fair enough. I am not familar with how Epi's sound through an Ampeg, so your idea of the Ampeg 410 is a good one.

I think you would be really happy with the PLX series of power amps from QSC. I am a fan of the power amps made by Crown. Since you seem to dig the Ampeg vibe, you could pair up the SVP-Pro with a PLX for about $6-700.

-Mike

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You could pair up the SVP Pro with a QSC RMX series power amp for even less and have more money to spend on a cabinet or two.

9. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hasn't there been bad things said about the SVT-3? It was underpowered or something? Im asking people this for you btw, not telling you its underpowered.

The head I would recomend is the SVT-350h just becuase it looks so darn cool. And its loud too. On 4 or 5, it shakes the ceiling in GC.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    How about some more info? I mean, as freaking awesome as we are here, we can't read your mind :p. There are a ton of variables that effect what head and cab you should look into. Did you try a search at all?
    Here's some questions you can answer that will let us give you better guidance:
    What kind of band do you play in (or want to play in)?
    How much volume do you need? Want?
    Is weight or size of a concern at all?
    What bass(es) do you currently play?
    What heads/cabs have you looked at? Why do you like/dislike them?
    What kind of overall tone are you going for?

Those are just a start, but if you answer those, we'll be able to better answer your question. The way you asked it, you might as well as a seagull.

-Ray

11. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    How about some more info? I mean, as freaking awesome as we are here, we can't read your mind :p. There are a ton of variables that effect what head and cab you should look into. Did you try a search at all?
    Here's some questions you can answer that will let us give you better guidance:
    What kind of band do you play in (or want to play in)?
    How much volume do you need? Want?
    Is weight or size of a concern at all?
    What bass(es) do you currently play?
    What heads/cabs have you looked at? Why do you like/dislike them?
    What kind of overall tone are you going for?

Those are just a start, but if you answer those, we'll be able to better answer your question. The way you asked it, you might as well as a seagull.

1) Progrssive Rock
    2) My guitar player has a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    half stack. believe it has 100 watts
    3) Weight or size does not matter at all
    4) I'm actually purchasing a fender standard jazz bass today
    5) I've looked at various ampegs, I do like the svt-3 pro but now i do not know if it has enough power considering i'm playing with a 100 watt half stack. I do not really like GK or Peavey amps too much
    6) I'm going for a warm, round, overdriven tone

12. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Used Eden WT-800. Avatar cab of your choice.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It sounds like you need some power tubes. Look used, I found my Mesa 400+ plus the 215 cab for only $1000 from another awesome TBer. Look at an SVT-II, SVT-CL, SVT-2 Pro, vintage SVT, Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, Eden VT-300, Trace Elliot V6/V4/V8, and new you can afford a Traynor YBA-200 at $600. The wattage ratings on these may appear small, but remember that tube watts such as these can sound as loud as 3 or 4 SS watts. For cabs, check out an Aguilar 412, Bergantino 215 or 610, Eden 215, 610, or 810, or a 410 with a 15, Schroeder 21012/310212, or maybe even a SWR 810 or 410 with 118. For cabs, I would recommend against any new Ampeg, as from my experience they aren't too loud and they don't get any lows.

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I like PlainOldMe's line of thinking re tube heads. I am fond of Ampeg tones, but would advise against the SVT-3. I think it's pretty overpriced and not that powerful.

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Based on your answers I have to agree with the previous post recommending the GK 1001RB-II and the Neo212. Great rig for what you're looking for.

16. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    There are nummerous threads and posts about SVT3pro's. Some say they're underpowered, others say they're good, but lacking in headroom. I still haven't figure mine out fully but know that underpowered isn't the problem, but that's another thread..... .

<edit>Ok there consensus that I'm seeing around and that's out side Talkbass is that the SVT3Pro has so many ways to modify it's tone that you can kill it's overall volume. the best setup I found (so far) is all push buttons out, EQ in, 33 cut, mids up slightly and highs rolled off. bass at 2:30 Treble at 2:30 and play with the mid controler. Master wideopen..... Gain to control volume and Tube gain for crunch. Run it into a 4 ohmm cab, or a pair of 8 ohms). I do this and can easy carry over my guitarist and his Mesa 100 1/2 stack... not to mention the other 2 or three guys who have been showing up to noodle about on guitars....</edit> YMMV

My choice if I did it again and SVP and a crown power amp pushing 500+ per channel.

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thunderfunk TFB420 w/ Avatar cab of your choice - upgrade the cab later if you want...