1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp should i get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freaky_Styley, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Freaky_Styley

Freaky_Styley

Jun 8, 2014
    I'm planning to buy a hartke combo bass amp but i'm not really sure about which one to buy. What would you guys recommend me to get?

2. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Could use a bit more info! Your needs could run from a single 8" speaker to 4 10's! Home practice or a loud punk band gigging at big clubs, etc.......?

3. Freaky_Styley

Freaky_Styley

Jun 8, 2014
    I preffer a single speaker and i want something around 100-200w, i may be playing with a group of friends.

4. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Is Hartke your only brand, or are you open to other brands like for instance Ampeg and Fender?

5. Freaky_Styley

Freaky_Styley

Jun 8, 2014
    It is okay if its some brand else. I first wanted to buy a markbass but it was pretty expensive. If you have some another brand in mind please share.

6. If you're new at bass, and not wealthy (because it's inevitable you'll be changing gear), I might suggest NOT a combo. Get a decent 2x10 cab to start Carvin, Avatar, Hartke 210LX, or a 1x15 (you can add another cab later), and any decent amp head with 4 ohm capability. Carvin BX500; Hartke LH500, etc. Just my 2 cents.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble 100 or 200 combos would fulfill all your needs & desires. Check out all the raves and reviews at the Fender Rumble Club. Fender Rumbles sound great, and are reliable, affordable, lightweight, stylish, and LOUD! :thumbsup:

8. What is your budget? Since you'll be playing with friends you will probably ok with a combo. But if you plan to upgrade later, a little cab with a mid/low powered head is a good choice with room for upgrades.
    If you decide on a combo, make sure it has the capability to drive an additional cab.

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    +1!

Linnin likes this.
  10. Freaky_Styley

Freaky_Styley

Jun 8, 2014
    Well i actually want to put some more money on buying the bass rather than the amp. When i buy a markbass cmd 121p which seems a really good choise, it costs almost twice more than the jazz bass that i will also be buying. I don't want something that costs more than 500-700 dolars for the amp since i'm a beginner and i will mostly be playing it at home.

11. A good bass is going to sound crap through a crap amp. A crap bass is going to sound decent through a good amp.
    I should be the last to speak about this as I've played 10 years with a 1200€ bass and a 50€ amp. :D But you get my point.
    If you do however plan on playing at home only, it's likely a good idea to invest on the bass and get a practice amp - one that will at least allow you to hear yourself when you start rehearsing with bands.

Freaky_Styley likes this.