1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp should i get!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by root fifth, Oct 14, 2010.

1. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Ok i play a Ibanez jet king bass with nylon tape wounds.Play simple folk style/old country.Nothing fancy no slapping just deep low end foundation stuff.(wife says i am a base player not a bass player)Dont worry i didnt get it at first!Any way I jam only with possible gigging down the road.I play in a group of mandolin,banjo,and every once in a while a guitar.No drums!!Any way i would like to keep it under $500 dont mind if it is combo or head and cab.And after a whole thread watts is still up in the air.So what would you use and why?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Take your bass to anywhere they sell bass amps, plug into everything they have, buy the one that sounds best to your ears, and fits your budget. Seriously.

3. used mb210, got mine for 480

cheap, load of options, good EQ, loud, can add a extension cab

4. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    So 115,210,410,212. 100 watts,1000 watts any help?

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If you run across an Ampeg B100R or B50R combo, give-em a try. I think either one would be a great match for ya.

6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I still dont get it...?..

:bag:

Buy Used?...maybe.

7. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    I will keep an eye out for the ampeg.And the joke is i lay down the base for every one to build off of.Get it base=foundation.I do nothing fancy i never stray from the the basics play only whats needed.aka BORING playing for the rest of you but the group loves it i am a big bearded metronome!

8. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Not boring at all to me!

I just finished playing along with Neil Diamonds "Sweet Caroline" Playing nothing but quarter notes as I went along..

My daughter looked at me as though I was from outer space:)

I love to play along with the digital chanels on TV.
    They play some great tunes.

By the way... My living room houses a Fender BXR 200.

Its perfect for what you would want to do, and can be had for pretty cheap.... just have to look around.

Some one else mentioned going to a shop and testing amps.... Thats a great idea! Probably the best way.

Remember, you have to prove nothing to anyone but yourself in a music store..

9. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Just seems like the stores around where i live its 100watts and lower or 300watts and up.Like the sound of acoustic b200 but also would like to look into that light weight Gk 200 i forget the model.I guess i just feel like 200 watts is a good number i mean its not like i have a drummer to compete with just need to even out the twang of the other two(mandolin and banjo).And if one more teen age worker at a GC tells me it almost not worth it to get a bigger amp unless i am going 500watts i'll kill em.

10. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Also wouldnt mind 100 watts but 200 watts is only pennies more.But down the road if we do gig it would be at a fest or somthing so i would have a PA so is it needed?

11. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Bump for help

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Don't judge amps by their rated wattage, speakers have much more to do with volume and tone than you'd think. A 100 watt amp through an efficient 4x10 can be pretty loud, vs a 300 watt amp through a single 12 or 15. Like I said earlier, play through everything available to you locally- get a feel for what different amps sound like, then buy what sounds best within your budget. It's not rocket science, but it does take time. Just have fun with the process- by your band description, it would seem a 100 watt 2x10 or 1x15 combo would do nicely- especially if it would support an ext spkr, which you'd want to match, (another 210 or 15, depending) If the amp is rated at 200, great, they all have volume controls. The important thing is to like how it sounds with your ears.

13. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1
    I think this is actually a quite good recommendation.

14. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Bump

15. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Can't beat these for a warm, fat bass tone. I have both and LOVE them!