Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp to buy for a small band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fclef87, Oct 12, 2004.

1. fclef87

fclef87

Oct 12, 2004
    I am forming a band with a drummer and Electric guitarist i have a fender p-bass and a ibanez hollow body i was told i needed a 12" driver - a 15"driver and i can only spend about 300$
    I found a fender rumble 60 for 229.99 and a vox 60 watt amp for 299.99 what better for me and my band

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Go with a Behringer bx1200. Best small amp for the money IMO.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Go used to get more for your money, and try to find one of the Gallien-Kruger combos.

4. All I can say is get as much power as you can, then look at tone of the amps. DO NOT ORDER ON-LINE!!! You will not know how the amp sounds unless you slide over to your local guitar shop, and try out whatever they have, and try everything in your price range, and remember, you don't have to buy there and then!!!

Happy shopping!!

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I concur. By it "live" in a store. When you have it short-listed, inquire if you can "try before you buy". That is, try the amp for a day in your band practice and see how it sounds where your playing and with your band.

The first amp I bought was fine for practice and playing in my high school orchestra and stage band but no where near loud enough to play in a rock band.

It amazes me how amps with similar specs. can be radically different when you A/B test them.

I had a Behringer 300w head (which blew up). This was way louder than my Ampeg B-4R 340w head (which fried after the cooling fan went.)