Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichiBass, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

So : I am planing to buy an amp. I want my amp to suit my reherseals in a pretty small room with no PA system. I have a Fender Jazz Bass (with MIDS, no effects), and I play from funk to acid jazz to rock to drum and bass. I am looking for an low-mid tone, with funky highs and wood sound, not metallic highs. I hate to much low end, I hate too much treble. I don't have so much money. I have to buy from the internet, I can't try them because we have not so many music stores here...

Possible amps :

SWR Worgingman's 10 - 80 W, 10" Speaker, Aural Enhancher etc. (discontinued)
    SWR Workingpro 10 - 100 W, 10" Speaker, Limiter, and a lot of other stuff.
    Fender Rumble 100 2x10, 100 W, 2x10" (new)
    Gallien Krueger Backline 10/12, 70/100W

So, I will not buy a bigger amp, I mean 100W will be enough, so don't tell me to buy more...
    I played the Rumble 100 1x15" and I noticed a lack of punch, and too much low end, so I think that the 2x10" will suit my needs, allthough it is made in China/Indonesia :|
    I read about the Gallien good and bad stuff... but it's cheap and small...
    I am afraid of not getting the Workingman's 10, because it's discontinued, but I'd love to have it, also small and cheap... never tried it though...
    The WorkingPro 10 is a bit to expensive for me, so I have to save up more... and that means more time until I get an amp...
    Can you reccomend me others? Let's say, up to 400 US $
    I'm sure the SWR sound better then Fender, but the Fender has 2x10" , means more speakers, more punch...
    Once I played an Trace Elliot Boxer 65, which was veeeeery good sounding, and the volume on half was enough for me... too bad it's discontinued...
    I thought at Behringer, which sound BAD, but are very cheap. I will buy a Behringer BX 600 if I need FAST an amp, but if not, I will save up...
    I don't like 15" speakers, no punch, too much lows....

So, what amp to get ?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had an old wm10 with ext. it was ok, but not very deep. Have not heard the wp10, but I'd like to hear what the "bass intensifier" circuit does! definitely get a second ten cab. just the compo alone will not be loud enough for drums.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out the Ashdown electric blue (i tihnk) combo series.

4. well...i would recommend the ashdown electric blue and MAG series, but the EB is 180 watts and the MAG is 300, so thats way more power than you'll ever need. but i still think theyre the best value for that kind of money. have you thought about maybe a 60 watt fender bassman combo?

5. The Ashdowns are both pretty nice, kinda tubey sounding. From your description you want tubey sounding - even if you haven't heard tubes, Then start saving for a tube head.

6. 100 watts with a 210 or 115 is enough for practicing, but rarely enough to gig with even running the amp wide open.

That being said, go for the workingman12 instead of the 10 if you go that route, and look into a second cab

7. Ashdown Mag is made in china :(
    and the five fifteen is suspectly cheap

8. WOW... 1+

Mich I have a wm 12 for sale, I like mine a lot... but I am trying to move to a half stack so the combo has got to go! If you are interested send me a PM.

9. I live in Europe... too far away and I have no money :(

Bass Man 60 W? Please give me a link!

10. Can you give me a link, i dunno what model...

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    See what you can find on ebay, you can probably get higher end stuff in that price range. If you run across products that you havent heard of, check out reviews on HC. Before you pull the trigger, check with the TB community.

It sounds to me like an Ampeg combo might be the way to go.

12. What about this ?

[​IMG]

tube AND SS preamp, looks nice to me.
    Of course I'll check out ebay

13. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    hey dude, the amp in those is ok but the VX speakers I have found to be pretty ordinary, get farty pretty easily. The swr would be better i think.

P.S- the tube pre on the amp isnt very tubey sounding either if I want that sound

14. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Ampeg B100-R

15. If you're looking for a good combo, I would have to say that the GK Backline series is perfect. They are affordable, absolutely LOADED with features, great tone, durable, excellent distortion(in my opinion, the best there is), and the sound is purfect. The "Boost" feature might as well be called "Growl" as that is what it does. The GK stuff is money. My main gripe about the high-end GK units do not have effects loops, which really chapped my ass, but...

I've got the Backline 210 and it is a great amp for practice, gigging, recording, etc. It's got a DI...It really is nice, dude. You can't go wrong with the thing.

16. I have an Ashdown Mag 300 combo. I believe it to be the best value for the money. I am really happy with it. I would also say xcheck out Yorkville sound. The XM 200 was really nice and was my second choice.

17. Are 15" not to bassy?

18. ...another great combo, despite my absolute disdain for all things Fender, is the Bassman. I owned one about 6 years ago, and had the chance to use one again recently, and it sounds like silk. It really is a nice series of amplifier.

19. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    1+ for the Ashdown combo. A real bargin there.

20. I never played one but how about a Genz Bens GBE 100w 210.
    I have seen them go for 499 canadian at this online store.
    http://www.fleetsound.com/
    I think with exchange rates it would be cheaper thasn 499 euros.