1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MasonBass21, Jan 27, 2012.

1. MasonBass21

MasonBass21

Jan 19, 2012
    Okay as im a newbie, im wanting to by an amp but dont want to spend hundreds just yet, just a little practice amp to start with.
    whats a cheap reliable first amp to buy?
    ive borrowed a friends Fender amp and that sounds awesome. but i have to give that back in the next few days :crying:
    so what are your suggestions people :)
    I play a Maison TB-380 4 string

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your budget? Buying used will get you more for your money. Have you checked your local CL to see what's out there? If you find something in your budget, post it here for some opinions/advice.

Here's a previous TB thread on the topic to check out: First amp advice

Maybe think about getting a bass trainer to help you learn: Bass trainers/practice w/o amps

Using a metronome might be helpful as well: Metronome info

3. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    I've been playing bass for several years now. I started playing on a squier p bass and a old peavey tko. I played it for about a year before I upgraded to an ampeg 410 cab and a ampeg b2re rack mount head. I would recommend a fender bassman or rumble amp to start. Then do some research on bass amps before you up grade. I now play on a fender rumble 350 2x10 combo (ported cabs rock! ). Good luck! \m/

4. MasonBass21

MasonBass21

Jan 19, 2012
    Budget is up to $130-$150 i know its not much but its a start, ive been looking in 2nd hand music joints and the like.
    The Fender amp i have at the moment is a Rumble 15, i love it but im not sure how much they go for at the moment, also been looking on ebay but you never know how much abuse they have copped without hearing them. thanks guys, i'll check that amp thread out :) peace out

5. MasonBass21

MasonBass21

Jan 19, 2012

6. Tom Cileski

Tom Cileski Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    USA
    A used Rumble 15 goes for $40 to $50. An Ampeg BA112 would be a good starter amp. Small enough for home practice yet has a 12' speaker and 50 watts if you get some jamming buddies. I've seen them at americanmusical.com on scratch and dent for $199.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    An Acoustic B100 may fit the bill for you. A new one is slightly over your budget at around $230. A used one, if you can find one, would fit nicely IMO. Not sure of your location and whether the Acoustic (Guitar Center) brand is an option.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1, another great suggestion. The Ampeg BA112 is a terrfic little combo and an excellent option if you can find one.

9. MasonBass21

MasonBass21

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi Guys, im back :)
    well good news everyone, i got an amp today,
    its a Carlsbro Stingray Lead 30, even though i think its a guitar one, the bass that pours out of this is amazing, can anyone give me some feedback on this amp?

10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Go the used route, as others have said it can get you more for your money. Great deals are out there, just have to find them and know where to look. As for gear suggestions for new bass players just starting out I almost always suggest looking into used Peavey amps. Probably the best mix of cheap, solid build, great reliability and great performance.

11. My opinion??? A very bad choice.

You'll prolly kill it by driving it in bass-land when it was designed to run in guitar-land.

It will have a very hard time complying with the low frequencies a bass makes.

Is this it??? (They come in black too)

[​IMG]

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Roland Microcube, built in metronome that does 2,3, and 4/4, with drum beats as well. Plus amp modeling... best practice amp ever!

13. Good choice! Somewhat expensive though ($250USD+) - but a good choice.

14. Unfortunately, there's a reason some amps are guitar amps and others are bass amps. With a few exceptions, guitar amps don't last long playing bass through them. Sorry, but your choice of the Carlsbro may not work out very well. Keep your bass as treblely as possible, as it will be the deep bass tones that will be most disagreeable.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 buying a guitar combo was a very bad choice, as the speaker will not last long unless you never turn the amp at at all. With a small starting budget, you'd have been much better served with ANY of the suggestions you got for bass combo's.

16. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Bummer. You were so excited to get your first amp that you went against the advice of folks who have been around, and bought a tiny guitar combo? Oh well. After you kill it, come back and ask. Then, listen.

17. MasonBass21

MasonBass21

Jan 19, 2012
    I got this 2nd hand and it is like the red one in the pic, i was going to buy a Peavy micro but couldnt get it in the end, i also own guitars as well so its not entirely a waste, im still on the hunt for another amp, as i live in a small town it makes it hard to get to the major cities to look at all the excellent shops and buying online kinda sucks because the postage is so much, as my tag says im a newbie, im doing this by myself and i dont have other people around me who play to help, thanks guys

18. Yeh broz...at 1st, I know nuts on this bass. I have this baby since 1998 I think. But now I'm using a Peavy T-40 n an Epi TB. Thought of restoring my Maison. Any suggestions on restoring it and mods?