What amp to use for country ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Nov 9, 2003.

1. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Just curious what amp and cabs country players are using. The last time I was in a country band I used a trace head and either a swr 610 or 210. Now Im in a rock/metal band and use eden pre and berg cabs. Im getting ready to do a side project with country again and will still use my rock rig. Like I said I just wanted to know what you country players are using for you rig.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Walter Woods M-100 plus BagEnd cabs (for most country or bluegrass gigs, it's one S-15 and one S-12 run in parallel). Words great for either electric or upright.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I use either a Carvin head or my 70's SVT with an Ampeg 4x10. The house amp is a Trace 1x15 combo that is sweet. I like using that amp a lot.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You'll probably get answers all over the equipment spectrum.

My previous band did mostly traditional country and some rock.

I used my current set up which is EB MM StingRay 5 -> Demeter VTBP-201S -> QSC PLX1602 -> Bergantino HT322.

I'm currently playing in a rock band and both bands love my sound.
  5. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I got two words fer ya'll, Pee Vee!

:bag: :ninja:
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have seen many of the local Country bands in the Nashville area use Peavey gear.
    A few weeks ago I was in the Knoxville, TN area and I saw a couple country bands - both used Peavey PA gear and Peavey Bass rigs. When Opryland was open in Nashville, many of the attractions used Peavey Speakers.
  7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Its all in the fingers. What I do is attack my strings strings around the 15-17 fret posistion, instead of attacking directly over the pick-ups. This gives it a nice "umph' for doing I-V country lines or walking jazz lines. I use either two Aggie GS112's or Berg 322 driven by a QSC PLX-1602/Demeter HBP-1. Try it soemtimes.
  8. inazone,

Your current rig will be fine, play around with the EQ until you get a sound that's not so aggressive (scoop the mids a bit). Depending on what strings you use, turn down the treble on the bass to get rid of any extreme brightness. This works for 99% of live country. As g4string notes, you can vary your attack to get even more variety.
  9. Mesa Boogie Bass 400(not 400+)and a Road Ready 215 cab. Or anything else all tube (vintage svt or Traynor YBA-3).
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden, and Eden only. WT-800 and one or two D-410XLTs. That's it.
  11. You should have let me known! K'town's home. Who'd ya see and where? I probably know 'em.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ampeg and nothing but.