Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp to use with (2) Bergantino HT322 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, Mar 17, 2006.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I recently had the opportunity to try a Bergantino HT322 cab at a local music store and I was blown away by how much lowend and clarity that the cab put out. I tried it with a GK 2001RB, Eden World Tour 800, and Fender 800 Pro. I did not care for the Eden and the GK had incredible lowend and presence but not enough eq function for my taste. The Fender was actually not bad but I would rather not go Fender. I tried out a Genz Benz GBE1200 at a different store through a Ampeg 8x10, SWR Goliath 3, and Mesa Boogie 4x10 and it sounded great on all of the cabs. I gave Jim Bergantino a email explaining my situation if I were to get two of his HT322 cabs and he suggested that I get like a Crown CA9 power amp and my favorite pre-amp and I would never look back. So my question to all you Berg owners is what amps are you using with your HT322? I should also mention that I play in heavier type rock bands. Any input will be welcome.

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I use a Glockenklang Heart-Rock with mine. It sounds glorious! Plenty of power (it's a loud 750 watts), clean, pure, sweet, warm tone. In fact VERY clear - you will hear your bass through this amp - and all your mistakes too :ninja: . The EQ is very musical and flexible. You could use this thing in any situation from rock to jazz to R&B to country.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you are going with a self contained head, I'd say an Iamp 800 would be a great match.

I know Jim already recommended a CA9 plus your favorite preamp, and I'd have to say this would be the BEST suggestion. he made the same suggestion to me when I was contemplating an HT322.

Edit..I just saw you were talking about powering TWO HT322s. In that case, I'd say a preamp/poweramp setup would be the only reasonable choice.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    CA9 sounds a lot better than an Eden WT-1000 with my HT310 and HT115. With eden and aguilar cabs, the eden sounds as good or better, but the bergantinos seem to really love the CA9. Add the preamp of your choice and you're done. Your rig will weigh close to 300lbs when all is said and done!!!

I also agree that an Iamp 800 would probably be fantastic, and would make 1000 watts into the two cabs @ 2 ohms.

5. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The shop that had the Bergs also had a EA i800 but I never thought about trying it out. Will have to do that. Thanks

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Eppie Quest II + amp of choice. There may be some left at MF.

8. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    All,

I did some searching for a Crown CA9 power amp, and all that seems to come up is an amp called a Crest CA9. Are these the same amplifier?

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have two berg 322's and have had them for a few years. I also play in a heavy/rock band. I have yet to find a head that will open up both 322's. Get the "crest" Ca9 and be done with your power search. Try out as many pre's as you can and stick with the one(s) you like.
    The epifani quest pre is a great choice.

edit: I should add that the genz 1200 and aguilar db750 come close but if you need the volume of two 322's, then you should go pre/power.
    Good luck.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My friend uses this cab with a pre-power setup. Not my prefrence of tone, but it its awesome at what it does. I think he uses an Alembic with a QSC.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're going to get TWO HT322s, you'd better get a mighty serious amp with gobs of power.

First thing that popped into my head was a Crest CA9 with the preamp of your choice.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You guys are on it!!! I was all set to recommend a preamp of choice with a CA9 as a first choice, and then a preamp of choice with a CA9 as my second choice, followed by a preamp of choice with a CA9 as my third choice. :D

Head wise, the DB 750 and iAMP 800 were the two that popped into my head first, as well. Dang, you guys are going to put me out of bidness! :smug:

13. I have two rigs I use with mine. I have an Iamp800, and a peavey max preamp with a mackie 2600 power amp, 2600 watts bridged @4 ohms opens her up nicely.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This the only amp for two HT322s.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i totally agree, but an EA iAMP-800 would seriously destroy as well.

if only i had a reason to run a pair of HT322's. :meh:

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The Genz 1200 is a wicked loud amp also...2 ohms and fantastic features.......also a great choice I think! :D

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I guess its so common around here people forget the brand!

Its a CREST CA9. :)

18. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Another vote for the Crest CA-9 and the preamp of your choice.. I recommend the Kern.. This was the best setup I've ever used...:bassist:

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mmmmm.... Kern.... :p

20. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Obviously a freudian slip there. They recommended a "Crown CA9" because they secretly knew that they should have been recommending the superior Crown Macrotech 2402 instead. :bag: ;)