1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp w/Ric?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philzbass, Feb 29, 2008.

1. GK 1001rbII

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. SWR SM 900

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. SWR 550x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mesa Boogi M-Pulse 600

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Other...

32 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. I am getting a brand new Rickenbacker 4003 sometime within the next 2 weeks! I'm curious what you guys/gals think as far as an amp to match up with this beast of a bass.

I'm basically starting all over with my set up, I recently sold all my basses and gear. The Ric will be my one and only bass for a while, however I may pick up a Fender Jazz sometime down the road.

I don't have a cab yet either, but that really depends on the amp I choose.

2. YBA200 with NV6x10

GO!

Edit: (You didn't have a pole yet when I posted.) Out of the heads listed above I would go with the SM900 with any bass.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

One of the best sounds I've ever gotten was my Ric through an NV610, driven by an Alembic FX-1 preamp and Crest CA-9 power amp. The rig was owned by a fellow TBer, and I sat in on a couple songs at one of his gigs.

That was over a year ago, and I can still hear how ruthlessly that rig and bass combination rocked.

Hard to go wrong with a Ric and a great sealed cab like the NV.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Rics and Ampegs are a match made in heaven.

5. I second the YBA200. Or a Fender Bassman 300 Pro. I paired one of those with a Ric for years and they complimented each other nicely.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Anything with some character to it. I dunno about the GK, but SWR's aren't gonna be a good match. Sterile, hifi amps just don't go well with Ricks...IMO of course.

7. I actually really like the sound of a 4003 through an SM900 into a goliath 3.

8. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    A Rick really deserves something big and tubey (IMNSHO)...

voted "other"

-SM

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    depends on the tone you want. I've heard a ric through an old tace elliot and thought it was pretty mean sounding

10. Ooooo, Trace Elliot might be well worth checking out. Thanks.

I only listed the amps in this poll because they are the amps I've most recently considered. But I am open to any opinions as to what will make a Ric sound great.

Thanks for the quick replies!

11. use a GK 1001 and voted GK 1001.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I like both Ampeg tube amps, and any Mesa MPulse, like the 600 you listed. The Mesa would be sweet paired with 6 10's, really punchy and the true meaning of growl. Congrats on your soon to be Ric.

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Marshall Super Bass.

14. I find my Rics don't sound right for me with solid state amps, but my other basses do.
    I notice your list is all solid state/hybrid amps, why not consider an Ashdown? They might get you a little closer to a tubey sound which in my opinion suits Rics.

15. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    An Ampeg SVT with 8x10 Cab. Thats the way to go.

16. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I like tube amps with passive basses, I use a Reeves Custom 225. It's got two independent preamps with individual normal and bright inputs, and individual gain controls for each.
    I run the Ric-O-Sound output stereo, bridge PU bright, neck PU normal, and blend the preamps according to my tastes, room dynamic, etc.
    Very dynamic, classic "Ric-esque" tone.
    Much easier than two seperate rigs to take advantage of the stereo capability.

17. lovebrigade

lovebrigade

Aug 1, 2007
    Ampeg or Ashdown

18. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Ampeg SVT-CL into the sealed SVT-810E. If you're getting a new 4003 it will include the vintage tone cap bypass in the bridge pup tone circuit. This provides a range in tone from the Chris Squire attack to soft warm jazz, and the rig delivers that range with tremendous power.:bassist:

19. Thanks for all the replies!

This is really helping me out. I was thinking of getting an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II a while back, and i noticed a lot of people are saying "TUBE AMP!" I'll be honest, I do like Ampeg and I would love to own a SVT-CL or VR along with an SVT-810E. But I don't want anything that big, and the amps I listed are more affordable (except for the SWR SM-900) these amps would also be a lot easier to move around.

Do you think an Ashdown would compliment a Ric? I've heard some people say that an ABM muddy's up the Ric's sound too much and your better off going with something like an SWR. True? False?

And what about a cab? I like the Genz Benz 212, it's Loud and light. What do you think about a Ric being played through a 212? Would a 410 or 610 be better?

20. One more thing;

I used to like the idea of a Mesa 400+ with an Ampeg SVT 410hlf. What do you guys think?