Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Amp Will Do the Job?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, Mar 30, 2003.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Let me start this by saying that I play guitar also. My guitar amp is a smallish 1x12 combo, 80 watts. It's controllable enough to be a good all around bedroom, practice amp, but also powerful enough to be heard over a drummer and other musicians, and portable enough to be easily carried around....

I guess I'm looking for a bass amp that can fill the same bill. I want something that I can play at home without overpowering myself, yet powerful enough to jam with people if the chance arises, but also not some huge, expensive, monsterous thing that I'd have to lug around.

If I find myself in a band, I'd probably get a head and 4x10 rig, but for now I need something solid for home and maybe jamming. Am I asking too much?

I don't even know where to start looking. Wattage? Speakers? I know guitar stuff, but bass is a little confusing to me. Anyone have any suggestions?

:confused:

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    A lot of it is going to come down to how much money you want to spend on a bass amp. Ive recently heard wonderful things about the peavey BAM210 combo, capable of everything youve mentioned, comes with wheels and its own luggage style pop up handle. It aint cheap though.

If you want to go the less expensive route I personally would look into a head and an avatar compact cabinet. They have a compact 12 and a compact 15. You might even consider purchasing both, they make a nice little mini stack.

Other things Ive liked are the Genz Benz cabs, a 210T-XB2 would be great with a 200-600 watt head.

also the fender bassman combos are nice, as well as the ampeg B100r.

Keep in mind though that a bass amp must be much more powerful to be able to play in the same setting as a guitar amp. For a bass amp to be as capable in a band setting as your 80 watt 112 I would reccomend at least two speakers unless you get a decent 15 and also having about 200-300 watts at your disposal.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    if you're not wanting to spend a bunch and basically just use it for practicing at home--and already thinking that down the road you will upgrade...then I'd get something like one of those inexpensive Behringer combos. It may not be the greatest combo in the world, but for the money at least you'd have something decent as a practice amp. Heck the 100watt version is pretty cheap and that's plenty of power for even a coffee shop sized venue.

4. Yeah, but for gigging you are gonna need some ooomff with your amp, even practice you could use some juice. Drums are almost too loud. Even with my 150 watt combo 15 and 8 speakers, it still isn't as loud as I want it to be, then again it is broken. But you will need AT LEAST 50 watts for practice. Like mentioned before get the b-100r, my school has a b-50rthat I use in Jazz band, and it is good for a jazz setting, but for some rock, you'll need double.