1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Ampeg cabs can be used with a B4R head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HiHowAreYou, Sep 4, 2008.

1. HiHowAreYou

HiHowAreYou

Sep 2, 2008
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm kind of new to the whole bass amp thing.
    I recently bought off of craigslist (for a sum total of $400) an Ampeg B4R head and a SVT-610HLF cab.
    Now here's the problem. The cabinet is just waaaaaaaay to large for me. It sounds amazing, but I live in an upstairs apartment and I just can't be bringing my amp up and down those stairs every time I want to go to practice.
    I want to do a trade on craigslist for a smaller Ampeg cabinet but I don't know which ones I should be asking for.
    Here's what I know about the B4R (specs direct from Ampeg's website):
    RMS Power Output (2 ohms): 500-Watts x 2
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms): 340-Watts x 2/1000-Watts (mono)
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms): 205-Watts x 2/700-Watts (mono)
    Preamp: Solid State
    Power Amp: MOSFET
    Tone Controls: 3-Band
    Mid Tone Control: Style/Ultra Mid
    Graphic EQ: Yes, 9-Band
    Balanced Line Out: Yes, with Pre/Post, Ground Lift and Level
    Effects Loop: Yes
    Preamp Out/Power Amp In: Yes, x Two
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 19 x 5.6 x 15
    Weight: 43 Pounds
    Now I'm looking for a 4x10" cabinet to trade for it. I also know the 610HLF is a 4 ohm cabinet.
    Like I said, I have NO CLUE what cabinets that Ampeg makes that are smaller and can be used with the B4R.
    I'm going to assume the B-410HLF can since that's the largest "B" series cabinet that Ampeg makes, but I'm not sure at all.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYBODY WHO CAN HELP ME! I couldn't find very much while googling and I'm not even sure what to search anyway, but I have a feeling you guys would know since you guys know way more than I do.
    Thanks again in advance!

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Any cabinet will work just fine with your head...literally. If it sounds like something is distorting, turn it down.

3. HiHowAreYou

HiHowAreYou

Sep 2, 2008
    Just as long as the impedance matches, right?
    Thanks so much. That really helps me out. :hyper:

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The B4R is a solid state head without an output transformer...so as long as you are at or above the minimum impedance rating, you are okay. If you are bridging the amp, your minimum impedance will be 4 ohms. If you are running the power stage in stereo mode, it can handle two separate two ohm loads.

Effectively you can purchase any cabinet you want without any worries.

Don't worry too much about power ratings of the cabinet - there is no such thing as overpowering or underpowering. If you hear the speaker distorting, simply turn it down.

[For some reason I keep thinking two 4 ohm Acme Low B-2's would be great for that head, easy to move around, and be ripping loud. ;)]

5. HiHowAreYou, check your PM please. :)