What amps are similar to the Acoustic B600H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MoFoTWeeTeR, Apr 9, 2013.

1. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Jan 1, 2013
    Hey all, I have an Acoustic B600H amp and I'm in love with its tone. However i want to purchase an amp that pushes out more wattage. The acoustic head is only truly putting out about 250 watts into my 8ohm 400 watt hartke cab. That said I'd prefer not to get an additional 8ohm cab simply due to the hassle of transporting an extra piece of equipment from gigs/rehearsals.
    What amps out there are similar to the acoustic amp line?

With that question aside, I'm playing out of a Hartke 4x10xl and I'm wondering if its really the tone out of the hartke that I truly love.

Thanks guys - Steve

2. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    I think there is a B800H now. Not sure of the true specs on it, but it may be worth looking into.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You will be able to tell a difference with 500 watts but that is more than your cab can handle. Watts alone at the 250 watt level will take a lot of them. Second cab if you want louder is the only option. It will take 1000-1250 watts to match what a second like cab will get you. Your cab will not handle that.

4. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    Just get rid of your -Ohm - Hartke - cab and get yourself a good 4-Ohm-cab. It seems that Hartke only builts cabs with a -Ohm - load, but there are some fine cabs with 1000 or more watts @ 4 Ohm, like the Tecamp L 410. Mesa Boogie does 4-Ohm cabs as well. Take a close look at this cabs.

With a 4-Ohm-load the Amp will deliver its full power. I think, that 600 Watts are way enough.

5. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Jan 1, 2013
    That acoustic b800h doesn't sound that bad, but in the long run I think a 4ohm cab would do the job. Now my problem is finding a reasonably priced 4ohm cab. That tecamp looks sweet however I can't find any for sale, and the only listed one is 1,000 pounds in GB.

6. The volume difference between a 8 ohm cab and it's 4 ohm counterpart is almost undetectable.

Speaker surface area makes sound, not dumping more watts into a cab.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
  8. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Fender Rumble 410 is $300, so if you're on a budget that's the one I've been noticing. I'll get it myself pretty soon, since I'm cheap. :)

9. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Jan 1, 2013
    So another cab at equal watts and ohms is the way to go?

10. Switching from an 8 Ohm cab to a 4 Ohm cab is not going to net you noticable volume. A second matching 8 Ohm cab will net you ~6db of volume. That is equivilent using 4 times the power you currently have in to the same cab. Your cab couldnt handle that much more power, but it does but things into perspective, as to why adding another cab is the way to go.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 yup, wattage does not equal more volume, but adding more spkrs does. Putting more watts into the cab you have, or swapping for a 4 ohm cab will be no louder than you are now. Adding a 2nd matching cab WILL.

12. B-string

While very true as I also stated, I think the correct answer is not the one the OP is looking for? :atoz:

13. Tuned

Tuned

Dec 6, 2007
    Actually often a 4 ohm cab from the same manufacturer as an 8 ohm cab will be significantly louder from the same amp. The reason is that usually 8 ohm cabs have 8 ohm drivers wired series-parallel, and 4 ohm cabs are usually 16 ohm drivers wired all parallel. Typically higher impedance drivers are a little more efficient because a smaller gauge wire can be used in the voice coil allowing for a more dense magnetic field to be produced. That plus 40% more power from the amp makes for an appreciable difference, but more speakers will always yield more output.

Hartke cabs aren't especially efficient though, you can get more output from Traynor, SWR, or GK cabs using the same amp (to name a few). If you're considering a different cab, as a 4x10 owner myself I highly recommend you switch to two 2x10's while you're at it. Don't get two 4 ohm 2x10's though, regardless of what an amp's specs say, 2 ohm output is lower than 4 ohm output. Two 8 ohm 2x10's get you what you need and for lighter gigs it's nice to just use one 2x10.

14. B-string

The differences are not as large as one would think just by the turns of wire. G-K for example only uses parallel wiring in cabs so an 8 ohm 410 uses 32 ohm drivers and the 4 ohm cabs uses 16 ohm drivers.

15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If the Hartke cab has 8Ω drivers and is wired series parallel, you could try wiring them in parallel and achieve a 2Ω load. You could also blow the cab or the head up if you're not prudent with the gain, EQ, and volume knobs, but if the Hartke drivers can handle 150 watts apiece, and the "Acoustic" can actually handle a 2Ω load, you should be louder. Not as loud as more speakers, but louder. Where's that can of worms picture again............

16. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Jan 1, 2013
    Yeah.. Wiring them myself would def be a horrendous disaster... Hah

I think I'm just going to match an extra 8ohm 400 watts cab for now.

And yes "B-string" my original question still has not yet really been answered. However you guys are still helping me out tremendously.

My original question was what amp manufactures out there sound similar to the acoustic 600h? I've played on a few different types of Headers supplied for me at rehearsal studios and gigs. even an Eden amp that shocked me because I wasn't too thrilled with it. I play a 62 fender MIA reissue jazz bass if that helps with anyone's suggestions. Thanks again everyone.

17. B-string

I think many amps can be adjusted to sound like the GC Acoustic amps. "Right out of the box" sound probably not.

18. Pretty sure it was determined that Kustom makes the amps for Guitar Center - you could try them.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022