What amps/cabs would you get <=$3k (USD)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Jan 27, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You are a gigging musician, playing a low B 5 string bass and a wide variety of musical styles with a fairly loud (but not ear-bleedingly so) band in moderately sized club environments with no PA support.

If you were buying a bass system from scratch and were limited to $3,000 USD, and wanted all the equipment to be new (not used), what would you get?

[This is amps & cabs only. This does not include the bass guitar itself or any effects, accessories, or whatever. Also, use street prices, not MSRP.]
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The overwhelming factor in the decision for me would be, where is the rig to be stored and how will it be transported.

If it's living at the rehearsal studio and being moved by van, then I'd probably go for two Acme Low-B4 cabs, powered by a Mackie M2600 power amp, with the preamp of your choice (I love the SWR Grand Prix but it's discontinued).

If I've got to move it myself (and fit it in my flat) I'd try and get away with two EA CXL-112 cabs powered by an Iamp800, but that may struggle without PA support in big rooms.

3. $3000! As a gigging musician, if I ever saw three grand I'd have a 19 year old blonde and a bottle of whiskey and be headed for Florida for about a week.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id go with 4 Eden 210XSTs and a couple Stewart World 2.1 amps.

For the preamp, I would go with an Eden Navigator and a Sansamp RBI.

With an 8-10 like that that can be brought down to a 6-10, 4-10, or even a 2-10 for smaller gigs, you would have a great amount of versatility.

The Eden 210XST has a nice flat response down to 31Hz and is pretty efficient.

Another idea is to substitute one or two of those 210XSTs for a 210XLT.

Just my thoughts.

5. Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    look for new clubs
  6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I would get a Accugroove El Whappo cab ($1650) with a Crest ST/LT series poweramp ($700). Or a QSC PLX ($700). With a Demeter or Kern, but would most likely be a SWR Interstellar Overdrive ($600).
  7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

How much do the XST's cost each?
  8. 1. Avalon U-5 $ 425 new (The BEST DI and Really Great Preamp) This is THE BEST DI for when you have those gigs with PA support or you EVER need to record your bass in studio situation. TRUST ME I am also a recording engineer and this is the sh*t 2. Sterwart 2.1 amp $900 +- New 3. dbx 160 SL compressor $275 (optional if you won't need a compressor) 4. Bergantino 322 Cab <$1000 give or take delivered to your door. All total between $2.300 and $2,600 not a PENNY more depending on where you get it all. Take the difference and buy a decent rack and a Furman PL-8 or something to power it and light it and VOILA! Instant GREAT Bass rig that you can fit in a car and play just about any gig short of an outdoor arena! If you are looking for a place to spend the difference. I would highly recommend the SADOWSKY floor model preamp for about $250 delivered especially if your bass is passive........this will work extremely well with the Avalon and sounds unbelievable.....
  9. Well, I would definitely get an EA iAMP 800 and two CXL-112Ls. You could do this for under $3000 list, so I imagine it would actually be quite a bit less than $3000.

I have the iAmp 350 and CXL-112, so that is where I am coming from. Biased or experienced?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive found a place that would give them to me for $635 + shipping.

Yaah thats actaully over budget now that I look back. Its amazing how quickly that cash goes.

A couple 210XST's should be good for almost any situation anyways.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    swr sm400s(400) di out ---->1000 watt power amp(400)----peaveytvx 4x10(450)

swrsm400 power amp out---> bag end 2x10(450 used) for monitoring or for drummer.

combine that with my 'ray and my 6 string fretless.. add in a little sadowsky pre amp to taste and voila ! didnt even break 2000
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Here's some of my thoughts at this point.

System #1. (~$2030)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX2402 power amp (2400W@4Ohms)
    Acme Low B-2 (8Ohms)(two)
    [Low End Extrordinare]

System #2. (~$2090)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX1602 power amp (1600W@4Ohms)
    Euphonic Audio CxL-112 (8Ohms)(two)

System #3. (~$2280)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX2402 power amp (425W@8Ohms & 700W@4Ohms)
    Bag End S15B-D (8Ohms)
    Bag End D10BX-D (4Ohms)

System #4. (~$2330)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX2402 power amp (700Wpc@4Ohms)
    Aguilar GS 112 (8Ohms)(two)
    Aguilar GS 210 (4Ohms)

System #5. (~$2670)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX2402 power amp (700Wpc@4Ohms)
    EBS-311 speaker systems (4Ohms)(two)

System #6. (~$2930)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX2402 power amps (700Wpc@4Ohms)(two)
    Avatar B115 speaker system (4Ohms)(two)
    Avatar B210 speaker system (4Ohms)(two)

System #7. (~$3760) [budget blower--$760 over]
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    QSC PLX2402 power amps (2400W@4Ohms)(two)
    Acme Low B-2 (8Ohms)(four)
    [Demolition Rig - prodigious low end output]
  13. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    You're kidding right? For 3 large, you can have just about anything you want. I'll give you an example using SWR gear, which is very similar to my current main gigging system:

SWR Interstellar Overdrive = $600
    SWR Power 750 power amp =$800
    2 ea. SWR Goliath III = $750 each = $1500

total = $2900

Use the extra $100 on a Boss TU-2 tuner.

You can even go a bit less by scaring up a NOS SWR Bass 750 (about $1000-1100 nowadays), or even get a new Bass 750x for less than the 'Stella and Power 750 combo. That will leave room for a few nice Monster Cables.

Of course, there are cheaper cabinet combinations, too. For instance, one Goliath III and one Son of Bertha ($500-550). Or try a Goliath Jr. ($550) and SOB. Personally, I'd go with two SOB's ($1100 total, max). Use the extra $400 on a decent quality compressor or tracking channel strip, and maybe a rack to toss it all in.

That will get you a system that is professional quality, extremely versatile, and loud enough for any situation where you would be unmiked/un-DI'd.

And this is just one example. You can get similar systems from any of the big name brands for about the same price.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ashdown ABM 500 chrome rackmount & a Bergantino HT212 :cool:

Mmmmm tastey
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I kid you not.

I have heard the big name brands and they are all pretty good, just not the sound I am after.

I won't be able to settle on which of those I had listed get the sound I am after until I can give them a thorough bashing as well.

Any decent system would work, but how close does it come to my ideal sound? That's all I care about.
  16. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There is good sound and then there is my ideal sound (so far only in my head).

I would like to get a system that sounds as close as is reasonably possible to my ideal sound.
  18. My buddy plays a custom built 5 string and a custom 4 string fretless through an Ampeg SVT 3 PRO and an Ampeg SVT 610. A lot of clubs he plays at doesn't have good PA and they don't run the bass through it and he really shakes the room. I have to say the bass is really nice and built well but the tone he gets from that cab sounds great even at about 75' back with people in front of me.

Check them out, go buy anything at guitar center and if it sucks return it! Can't tell you how many times I have done that!
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well i'm really happy with my rig, and it cost well under 3k to assemble.

SWR IOD - $500
    Carvin DCM1000 - $400
    Goliath Sr. - $900
    various bids and bobs (rack, cables, etc) - $100

i think that the carvin power amp is a great backbone for a rig. plenty of power, reliable, and cheap. you'd have to get some seriously expensive cabs and preamp to bust $3k with that as a backbone.