What amps do Apocalyptica use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diezel420, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Apocalyptica, for those of you uninitiated, are four Finnish cellists (not exactly "bassists" per se, but still a bassy instrument) who cover metal songs (Metallica, Sepultura, Faith No More, etc.). I know they hook their cellos to amps, but I don't know what kind. I imagine they gotta be good, 'cause thats how they sound on the albums.

What amps do Apocalyptica use?
  2. they most likely have mics around their cello's and have the mics into the board.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They go into great deatil in the liner notes to mention the cellos, bows and strings they use but they mention no amps.

To my ears on the first CD they are just playing acoustically. I haven't spun the 2nd one much, forget if there are any obvious uses of effects or amplification.
  4. Why would you want to ruin the beautiful sound of a cello by even the most expensive amp. They porbably used large-membrane condensor microphones to record their instruments. Those mics will, each, probably cost more than your average rock bassist back line.
  5. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd say that they have the most expensive mics and they just go to board with them. And with the new stuff with wah wah pedals and distortions.. I don't know. The guy with all those effects had and ebs preamp in a live show once so that may have something to do with it.