Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amps sound the best with a passive jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Aguilar DB750

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Eden WT800B

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Thunderfunk 550-B

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Ampeg SVT Classic

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. SWR SM-900

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Other (Please Specify)

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What amp sounds the best with a passive jazz bass?

be specific with styles and descriptions

thanks,

mark

2. I recently switched from using an SVT-3pro+PR-410hlf to an Eden CXC-110+CX-110. My Active/passive 6 & fretless 7 & passive fretless 4 all sound better(to me)through the Eden rig but my Fender J 5(passive)sounded better through the Ampeg. When using the Fender, I like to add some pretend tubeisciousness w/a Dan-O Daddy-O. If I were playing only the Fender, I'd likely go Ampeg- but I've never played a tube preamp Eden.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Tubes! Just get tubes! ;)

I'm sure the DB750 would be great with it.

Played a passive jazz through a Thunderfunk 420 (first time I played that amp, so I don't have anything to compare it to) about a week ago. It sounded really lifeless, IMHO, but that could have been - and probably was - the SVT 610 HLF that it was plugged into.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    SVT, why, because I have one. It's big, it's warm and it's loud. Every bass I own sounds good with it. I even run my DB and EUBs through it. I keep my gain around 1.5 to 3 and turn up the master, so I get a really clean sound, EQ is usually 666 or 5.5 6 5.5, deep is always on.

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I really dig Dave Labruyer's (sp?) tone with John Mayer, he uses an eden head and 410 cab, but I've also seen him with an svt.

Either way, live and in the studio, he's sending his signal through an avalon u5. I'm not sure if I've helped at all.......

In any case, I use a db750 and I like the way all of my basses sound through that amp. I could imagine a passive jazz sounding really good through it. My yamaha bb1000s sounds good through it. It sounds pretty damn good soloing the bridge (j) pickup too.

It's mroe about what sound you want. I've played a few shows with an swrsm900+410 and that sounded great with the other bass players passive j style bass....but not with my active warwick. It sounded great with mr rob allen though..........really great actually.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've only seen Dela with an SVT. Where have you seen him with an Eden head? I've literally only seen him with a SVT, 2 Avalon U5's with one of them going to a Sansamp. And he uses one of the reissue silver grille SVT 810's. That's so interesting.

http://www.totalproductionus.com/sitefiles/march_john_mayer.htm

Anyway, I really like Ampeg with passive basses. Aguilar DB750's sound great, but I think they are ultimately suited for active basses, or very agressive passive basses. At least from what I remember when I played one. I liked it though...no doubt.

7. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interestingly, My vote from personal experience was for the Mesa 400+. The reason for this is because of the way the EQ is set up, it just can always give a balls out tone. I love this Amp especially when I'm playing my P-bass in a heavy situation. I also like my passive jazzes with an Ashdown ABM 500. Once again, I can get a cool "scoop" sound and have plenty of growl and clarity. I am not a fan of the SWR's for sure, and also the SVT 4 Pro. Anyone want to buy mine?

I would think that if I had more experience with an old SVT, I'd like that one too.

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i voted DB 750. because i have one, i use it for for all of my larger gigs and whatever bass i put into it sounds good.

but when i use my fender geddy lee i get a nice vintage tubey sound, which i love

Dave

9. SVT
    Gain 4-5
    Bass 6-7
    Mid 6
    Treb 5
    Deep/Low ON
    ;)

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For tube, Sadowsky SA200.

For solid state, Bergantino IP powered cabs.

11. Depends on the sound you want... hard to vote for one...

70's Rock Grind... nothing sounds like an SVT...

'Old School Funk'... botht the Eden's and Thunderfunk do this wonderfully.

Updated Tube Sound.... DB750 is great as long as you hook it up to a big honkin' cab with lot's of low end capability.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point, and you are the Funk King, so your advice is gold, here. :) I'd think that the EBS HD350 would make a killer funk head, too (where it's volume was sufficient for the gig).

Tom.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I would tend to agree with Ken, and to expand a little.

Ampeg SVT: Great for 70's Rock, Country, and Metal

Agular DB750: A lighter slightly cleaner SVT

Both of those heads need big sealed cabs and some volume (in the case of the SVT, A LOT of volume) to sound their best

Thunderfunk: Great for slapping lightweight, but has enough low end and balls to do the other stuff too.

Eden 800B: (My choice) Best all round, IMHO, slightly warmer then the Thunderfunk and probably stronger for finger-style. Although it does have the Eden "sound", so you better like the tone before you buy.

Both of these heads are far better "packages". They are lighter, have better EQ's and sound good at lower volumes in smaller rooms, but can still do the Stadium thing.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Regardless of what amp you pick, the thing to realize about the passives is that their output is way, way below the input stage of modern amplifiers. So, plugged straight in, they don't even begin to load up the preamp at all. In many cases, it is a good idea to put a small microphone tube preamp in front of them to warm up and boost the signal. You can use many kinds of inexpensive pre's to do this. I've had success with the ART and the BP8 (which is otherwise a pretty unimpressive effects box). Then the next part is really personal preference. The preamp front ends are all different, and you should play a lot of them to get the feel for what you like. In the price range you are looking at, you could also consider separate rigs, and should check out the Demeter, Alembic, Ampeg, etc. etc. They all have different characters. In any case the point is that to compare apples to apples, you need to make sure that the input is fully loaded, and the passive J needs some help to make sure that happens.

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
  16. From 1992 to 2001, I played an almost stock Jpn Squier Jazz (w/a BadAss bridge) strung w/Rotosound Swing Bass 66's (and later Rotosound Billy Sheehans) through a vintage SVT head & 8x10 cab. I played mostly metal/hard rock w/this setup and it was just a dream tone-wise (not transport-wise, however ;) ) It had grit galore when pushed hard and was clean, fat & articulate when I eased back on my playing. Having no extensive experience w/the other heads in the poll, I can only say that the setup I just mentioned was absolutely perfect for the applications I was using it for. I really miss it at times, but after nearly a decade of lugging the rig up stairs, down basements & from club to club, my carcass said "enough" and by that time, I started playing active 5 strings, which the SVT isn't particularly fond of. So long story made short, my choice would be Ampeg.

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    try a Bassman 135 all tube head. they sound amazing with Fender basses!!:eek:

18. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    Why isn't the acoustic 370 up there with that 2x15 full stack.

19. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I recommend EBS amps - any model will work: HD350, TD600 Fafner and TD650 are all wonderful amps.

20. +1 Just got an EBS Fafner yesterday, best amp I have ever played (and probably ever will), and I have a passive jazz bass (old F-bass)...