What analog stompboxes should I use with my Zoom B3n?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JT Foster, Dec 31, 2021.

1. JT Foster

JT Foster

Dec 27, 2014
    O’Fallon, MO
    So I’ve been contemplating building a pedalboard, and I use a B3n for pretty much all of my effects.. however, I’d like to free up space on my Zoom by getting a noise gate pedal. I’m also looking to get a tuner pedal so I don’t have to shift between tuning mode and my patches when I think I’m out of tune. A DT Whammy Bass is also on the list.

I’m contemplating getting an MXR 10 band EQ since the Zoom only has a seven, and I’ve heard an analog compressor can be an improvement over the digital patches. Thoughts on these pedals vs the built in effects?

2. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    Sell the B3 and buy a HX Stomp, it will cost less than adding a few pedals, smaller footprint, and better sound.

I used to have a Zoom B3, and I had 2 or 3 sounds that I really loved with it, especially one, a strange synth sound that I really needed for one specific song.

Then I added a few analog pedals. Then I realized that the poor converter or DSP of the B3 kind of ruin the sound, you loose definition or something.

I tried the HX Stomp. I was able to re-create all the exact presets I loved in the Zoom B3 (including the very strange synth sound), they only sounded much better, because of the quality of the DSP and converters. And of course, much more.

I finally sold the B3 and all the analog pedals, and never looked back.

Noise gate, EQ and tuner work really well, I'm not using compressor or whammy but I'm sure you'll find great ones on the Stomp… and more.

OK, now I'm buying a few tube pedals, but it's just because I'm stupid and I can't help myself, I really don't need this. Most of the time I only tale the HX Stomp, it's all I need.

Other recent digital effects would also work well probably, but I didn't try any.

Jefenator likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022