Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What annoys you the most when you make a mistake while playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 3, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have come to realize that when I make a mistake while playing, I am more annoyed that the note I was supposed to play did not sound than for the phisical error itself. Making errors is, of course, part of the risks associated with performance and usually, the more familiar you are with a tune, the less errors you make. What do you find is the most annoying aspect of making mistakes and what do you do, if anything, to ensure you keep your mistakes down to a minimum? Besides practicing, I mean.

Will C.:cool:

2. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I hate the note not sounding the way it should. It's never my fault, it's the bass' fault! :) I hinder myself from going to deep in the woods and not finding myself a way back. Basically I don't try to go for confusing riffs to add on to the current riff that I'm already doing. After a certain point I'm bound to mess up, so I just keep things nice and steady. I'll go off into a controlled fury every once and a while. Usually, even if it's controlled, it doesn't sound right. Everyone else thinks it's ok though, so I guess I'm just too judgemental of my playing. Anypoop, I just keep things nice and simple. :)

3. Usually, when I mess up, it is because of my fingers, or I just don't know what the hell I'm playing. hehe Usually my fingers though. *shrugs*

4. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'm not sure if this answer goes along with what you are asking BW, but when I make a mistake, my body temp rises, so I sweat a little more, then my hands start to sweat. So at every pause, I'm rubbing my hands on my pants to try to dry them off.

As far as trying to eliminate mistakes, I have always believed in the K.I.S.S. theory. Keep It Simple, Stupid. I keep everything as simple as I can live. Recording is a bit different, obviously.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I am annoyed most by other band members making sure EVERYONE ELSE knows I made a mistake!

6. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I think that the majority of the mistakes that I make are because I either let my mind wander or think too much. When I make mistakes, I sometimes don't even remember what song I was playing. Occasionally, I try and write out the songs from what I can hear in my mind to see if it is accurate with the actual song. But then, I'm not the model of normality that I once was...

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's what bugs me the most. You step on a line and someone else, (or "elses"), looks at you like they're doing a double-take. Fortunately, that only happened to me years ago in very amateur outfits.

Keeping them to a minimum? If there is one particular passage/note I keep stepping on, I learned from an former teacher that the old expression, "know it forwards and backwards" really holds true. I identify through practice where the potential trouble spots are and learn them backwards. Works for me anyway. (BTW, "Whole Lotta Love" is the same song backwards ;) )

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Since I record everything that I do i.e. rehearsals as well as gigs and then review it later, I hate reliving the moment when I hear the mistake again! As much as I hate it, the process of record and review goes a long way towards preventing from making that mistake again and improves my playing (timing and note choice) overall and stimulates new ideas for a part that I may be playing.

Phil

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I dont like playing any note I didnt mean to. Sometimes they work so I play them next time. Sometimes I can slide em into the 'right' note.

The forwards backwards thing is a good idea. I mainly play in church and reguarly have only one rehearsal before the 'gig'. I try to play as off the wall as possible and calm down later. I know what will work and what will not. I play within safety limits having pushed em earlier. Hope you understand what I am rambling on about.

Fuqhorn Edhorn-Jazz IS a series of wrong notes :)

10. The most annoying aspect of making a mistake, to me, is when it leads to another mistake. If I play a wrong note, I like to be able to recover as quickly as possible.. in other words, on the next note! I've made great strides in this area over the last year or two.
    I don't know any way of preventing mistakes other than knowing the material cold. Or, like Ed said, playing only stuff you know, but who wants to do that?

11. sliding into the right note is a good one, especially if you do it twice, so no-one notices it was a mistake:D

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...with more familiarity, I find myself making more "errors". I guess I'm not as attentive when I get too "comfortable" with a tune.
    Storytime: I once had total brain-freeze on the opening lick/riff to "Beat It"...I knew we played it in "E", so I pedaled on an open "E". The female vocalist stared & made faces at me the whole time, too! BITCH!

There's something to be said for "not knowing" what's coming up in the next bar or two. ;)

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    JimK :)

My favourite one was we started a song with bass/drums only. So theres me pedalling A, shame the song was in G! The pianist looked at me in horror. I hit the octave and some how she guessed it and we came in together in G. The only thing that spoilt this heroic effect was the sax player doing the melody in A. Everyone thought it was HIS fault :D

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's definately most annoying when someone in my band points my mistake out to me. Honestly, I make the fewest mistakes in my band and when someone who screws up songs that we have been playing for six years asks me, "What happened on THAT one?" I mean, I know I screwed up, I'm not deaf!

Lastly, someone once told me (jokingly, no doubt): If you make a mistake, make that same mistake again so people will think you meant to do it that way.

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t remember who said it, and I´m not sure I´m going to say it correctly, but it was something like this: "There are no wrong note, just wrong (I don´t know what´s supposed to be here..)"

16. sometimes I get the feeling that some part of your brain is missing.... ;)

anyway... I hate most when I make errors in a song I know completely and have been playing for a long time... like JimK, I have the problem that when I know the song TOO well, I start making errors...

17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Now, that´s true..It happens to me all the time..

18. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Most of what I was going to say is already up here, so now I do not have to type a long explanation.

The only thing I do not like about screwing up that is not up there is when recording and you do not get a good usable track to use on the first take. That may seem ass-holish, but still, having to go back and punch it in, or if there are no good places to punch in, lay down a new track (this happens a lot while playing Arco with the DB cause I like to play most of my stuff slow and melodic like) it kind of bugs me. I mean, it is like, why didn't I play it right, we rehears it all the time (then I hit myself in the head, or bite myself, I still have teeth marks from last night)

19. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    "There are no wrong notes, only wrong resolutions." Some jazz-cat is credited with that quote.

20. It's perfectly natural to make mistakes, the point is not to dwell on it, or it will affect your whole performance.