Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What!? Another V8 owner? Hell Yes!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jun 3, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
  2. Join the club! Post pictures once you've got it. You'll start getting mails from us, owners of the V8 (TomBowlus, Myself, ...).

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Will do. It's got the footswitch with it anyway, so I don't have to worry about that.

Now all's I need is a case.. Any V8 owners gotten one for theres? I want a road case where I can lift the top off it... I wouldn't mind trying my own hand at making one.. How hard would it be?

By the way, where and how can I join this elusive club of yours? :p

4. I'm gonna get a decent flightcase for this amp. Will cost me around 240 euro's... quite steep, but worth it.

You'll get mailed by us.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    By the way guys (Oddio in particular) - How do Acme's pair with tube amps (V8)? I'm thinking of either getting a B4 now and adding a B2 or getting two B2's and if I need/want to have fun, i'll add another B2 to that.

The upside I see with the B4 + B2 route is cost overall (if I were to get three B2's) and portability (The B2 could come to practices, the B4 could easily be on casters for gigs etc).

Up side of all B2's.. I'm thinking even two might do, and I can stack them vertically this way. It'l cost a little more, but getting them around would be easier.

Also, between the B4 and B2, the B2 only has a sensitivity of 93, the B4 has 96. Also, the B4 goes lower in freq range. Seens that i'm after low end, would the B4 be a better option?

I play loud, outside alot of the time. And I want big, thumpy low end, with some nice growl. BUT I want to be able to cut through the mix (Two loud guitars and drums + vox) when I want to and when i'm slapping. Could the Acme's do what I want? Other stuff i've been looking at are the Bergie NV series, Schroeders and Eden cabs.

Good thing with the Acme's (And Eden's) is I can try them first hand, the other two, I cannot.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Popin;

Congrats on the V8! I played through a 21012 at a local guitar show and while I understand that that is not the best venue for trying out a cab, I think it would sound great with your new acquisition. Truly sick low end yet with definition.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have requested a quote from Anvil to build just such an item, and I have also spoken with TB's very own Ryan Owens about making me a case (he makes cases under the name Rhythmic Cases; you can contact him at ryan.owens@earthlink.net). Ryan's price quote seems pretty fair (US $280), and I will probably go with him.

PM sent!

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cheers Tom. Your a good man ;)

I think I should go to sleep soon... the sooner I sleep the sooner I wake up and go get my Trace!

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, so far i'm looking at: Schroeder 21012. Bergantino NV425. Acme B2/4's. Eden XST410. Oh, and I also sent of some questions to LDS, so we'll see what that brings.

Decisions =/

10. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Don't you have a Mesa 1516?

11. Ooops - I just spotted my name in there... the V8 pairs up very nicely with a pair of B2 cabinets. The only issues will be: how loud do you need to be and what kind of projection do you need. If you're playing a 5-string and don't need huge volume levels this would work well.

One of my favourite sounds ever was using the V8 to power a pair of B2s and using the DB680/DB728 to power the other pair for a live gig. WOW!!!

Anyhow, congrats on the great score.

12. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    That'a a sexy lookin head.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Why did all the V8s get sent to Australia?!? :bawl:

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Selling it/sold it :)

Thanks guys.. I'll have to get some info off the other V8 owners/fav EQ's etc.

I have a little rattle in one of the tubes (I think) when I hit certain notes, I can hear a little tinkering. Nothing is glowing like it shouldn't though (My what a sexy glow it has).
    My only other thing with it is the footswitch. It's not an actual Trace one and everytime I change channels/compressor it makes a loud pop noise, unless i'm dead silent (When I'm not when I'm changing on the run).
    The compressor's great, i'm using it for a little volume boost at the moment, but i'll see what I can do with it.

Another thing... I have no serial number! On the back it says Serial: and then it's blank... or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Looks great condition, it's a made in Britian (were all of them?) and sounds fantastic. The overdrive is taking me a little to get used to and ANY slight fret buzz comes through so loud with this channel on, but i'll get the hang of it..

So yeah... Ummm. Using this, when I use the two gain stages, am I overdriving the pre amp tubes? How do I overdrive the powertubes, if It can be done.. Or is the only way to play loud? Should I set the master at full then adjust gain? I've never owned a tube amp, so I duno.

Oh yeah, one last thing.. I have two SWR 8 ohm cabs rated at 200 watt each. If I use the V8 on full power, am I overpowering the cabs? I know a watt is a watt, but this thing is frightfully loud, even through my cheap SWR's. Should I run it half power just to be safe? I'm thinking of hooking up the Mesa 1516 (While I still have it) and the SWR's and run at a 2ohm load tomorow for fun...

So yeah, I'll try get some pics fairly soon.. Might give her a polish and scrub first (How do I clean the tubes/inside, it's a bit dusty and I know i'm not meant to touch certain things).

Cheers!

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

Hmmm, i'll be using a 4 banger for now. But i'll be gettin a 6'er next. I want LOUD, so maybe they're not the cabs for me.. Hmm.

16. Awesome Pop! I saw that floating around on ebay- and was interested by it- Not much moneys here though so a bid was out...

Looking at Geetting an 800RB from someone on here sometime in the next week or two- I cant wait.... No tubes here! Just pure dark side! :)

*whips out light-sabre*

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Heheh, i'm thinking of getting a nice cheap 400rb if I can for a backup..

If anyone can help me with the post above, that'd be wicked.

I'l have pics and hopefully some live soundclips tomorow from our outdoor gig, i'll take some close ups of the amp!

18. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Sweetening dude!

Congrats on finally finding something!

Can't wait for the pics and sound clips!

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is not typical. :meh:

I have not heard this, myself.

This is where the EM84 "Magic Eye" tube comes into play. Have you noticed the two green bars starting at the top and bottom of the tube, which pulse and "grow" as you hit a note? This is measuring output voltage. Once the two bars touch, you have sent the max signal for clear power output (400w), and beyond that, you are overdriving the power amp tubes (which you may want to do intentionally, but it'd be pretty loud in full power mode!). If you set the head for 1/2 power, then it may be far easier (and more safe!) to do.

Tom.

20. Jarring of the head during shipping / transportation can cause a tube to develop a rattle as you describe (broken coke-bottle sound). The tube can still be fully functional, but having had the problem in the past I know that it certainly can be annoying. There are some things that you can do to minimize the problem... not putting the head on your cabinet, using a gramma pad etc. However, the only thing that will really fix the problem is to replace the errant tube(s).