Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are 12" drivers closer to............

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panic_striken, Jan 2, 2006.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Do 12's have more of a 10" quick fire, mid-rangey characteristic, or maybe more like a 15" with deep bass that you can feel in your chest, or are they a unique beast all their own???

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think they're unique.

3. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Which 12" driver specifically?

It is pretty much useless to compare "A 12" driver" to "A 15" driver" when the differences between two 12" drivers are often as significant.

Just a bit of a caveat.

4. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    This probably won't help, but:

It depends on the particular driver and also the type and size of the cabinet it's in. I have an Eden 112 that feels more like a 10 than 15 to me, and a GB 112 that felt alot more like a 15, but then I changed the driver and now it has a deep low end but still feels very fast, and has such a nice high end that I cut the tweeter altogether.

The other really obvious answer is that, well..... A 12 is sort of in between a 10 and 15

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Right. The design of the cabinet is also critical: a particular driver or array of drivers can sound very different depending on whether the enclosure is sealed, front ported, rear ported, etc.

6. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Well, in an open space, front and rear porting (or side or top or bottom if you put the cab off the floor enough) will not make a difference. When you back in to a corner, or against a wall it's the experience of some here that the difference is significant. However, it is also likely that the "corner" effect would alter the sound of a sealed cabinet in a similar way.

+1 on everything though.

7. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    ok, I'll get specific..........Aguilar GS212. Front ported with a frequency range down to 41hz and 56oz. magnets. Now, am I gonna get a deep 15" sound from that or would it be the same as the 4x10's???

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Any low frequency response curve that can be realized with one driver size, can also be realized with another driver size. Whether you can find the sound you want with a particular driver size, and tolerable sensitivity, and sufficient power handling, among commercially available cabs is another matter.

Then, as others have pointed out to me, high frequency and off-axis response are less amenable to off-the-cuff predictions. In terms of off-axis response, a 1x10 and a 4x10 could actually be at opposite ends of the spectrum, with 1x12 and 1x15 somewhere in between.

More than this, I am not willing to say, at least until I get a decent measurement microphone as part of my test setup :)

9. The GS212 is a wonderful cab. If you "must" make a comparison with 10" and 15" speakers, I'd say it is closer to the 15".

If I would oversimplify,

a 10 is "bright"
    a 15 is "low"
    a 12 "sings"

YMMV

Peter