Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are 5/6/7/8 string basses tuned to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 10, 2001.

1. What are 5/6/7/8 string basses tuned to?

2. Standard stringing is as follows...

4-EADG (Personally I prefer BEAD)

5-BEADG

6-BEADGC

7-F#BEADGC

8-Well, most often it's a EADG doubled with the second an octave higher, for individuals, just ask John Turner

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    whatever you want them to be tuned to :D

seriously, 5 strings usually have a low B or a high c
    6 strings have a low B and a high C

i tune my 7's any of the following ways, where the capital letters correspond to the regular 4 string tuning.

b-E-A-D-G-b-e
    f#-b-E-A-D-G-c
    E-A-D-G-c-e-a

most 7 stringers use b-e-a-d-g-c-f

and i tune my 8's

f#-b-E-A-D-G-b-e

i've heard the other 8 stringers tune

b-E-A-D-G-c-f-bb (b flat)

4. Dragen

Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    Isn't it hard to play a 7 or 8-string? There's 8 strings (pretty obvious fact, but I bring it up anyway)!! The neck is HUGE. Is is so that you must have large and agile hands to play them? They look interesting, but unusual (which is positive):

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i have pretty small fingers. and yeah, 7's and 8's are harder to play than a 4, only because of the increased technical demands that the larger geometry and more strings make upon the player.

work on good posture and technique and you'll find that in time it's no problem, really. 4 strings remind me now of those big fat crayons that i would draw with when i was a kid. :D