Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are all your impressions of Chuck Rainey?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrettAM, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Jus' a simple little thread here. What is everyone's impressions of Chuck Rainey? How do you think he compares to various artists such as James Jamerson, Lonnie Plaxico, Jaco, Lemmy Kilminster etc.? I for one find him one of the finest bassists to have ever lived, his works have profoundly influenced my own grooves and styles. So what does everyone else here at Talk Bass think?:cool:

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Chuck Rainey is a very talented and rare spirit he told me something once that I thought was spoken from the most sincere of hearts his words were,There would be no Chuck Rainey if there had been no James Jamerson now that is deep.and today (6-17) is his birthday he is 62.and still performing strong.he is filled with a wealth of wisdom of life,music and everything in between.

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    FABULOUS! I've been listening to his albums with Steely Dan for over twenty years and I am still humbled by his "grooveability".

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Chuck Rainey is first a gentleman- truly a warm human being- i met him at NAMM and he was a pleasure. His playing is incredible- he manages to play a lot of notes, but NEVER at the sake of the groove- he grooves hard with what would sound too busy if anyone else tried- anothe bassist that does that and i was marveling at today is Rocco Prestia . I could never get away with that, they chew it up nd spit it out as if nothing- the bassist onthe right is trip Wamsley, a monster in his own right
    [​IMG]

5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Chuck Rainey is the musician I more or less modelled my playing approach after.
    Although he is a somewhat "busy" player, he is extremely tasteful and doesn't hesitate to leave space between notes whenever required. His tone and rythm are impeccable, as are his lines. But what really kills me about him is his overall, "feel", it is really hard to describe, but he plays with such a precense that you can smell his playing from two miles away.
    Of course, he owes a lot to Jamerson (as we all do!), but Chuck took it one level further. Every bass player owes it to himself to check Chuck out!

As Will Lee once said: "Chuck Rainey is the ultimate!"

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Chuck is awesome. I just listened to my LP of the Steely Dan Album "Aja". Wow.

7. Hey guys, thanks for responding, I'm glad others feel the same way I do. Hey Phil, take the time to learn "Home at Last", "Black Cow", or "Josie", those have some awseome grooves to them.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    One of my old bands used to play "Peg". Man, what fun!

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Here is one of my favorite quotes. Its by the man, Mr. Rainey in a Bass Player magazine interview, back when they put players worth reading about in that rag.

"Whatever the level or situation you're playing at, my feeling is you've got to be a STRONG player. Bass is a strong instrument; you can't allow yourself to play it weakly, with no authority. You've got to play with an attitude because everybody's listening to the bass."

Amen, Brother Rainey!

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Nice quote, I agree.

I also agree that Chuck is a great player, a pleasure to listen to.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rainey is the guy I 'studied' & wanted to be like the most...& this was in the mid-'70s with Jaco & Stanley running amok.
    I still have a '70s-something Guitar Player mag with a pretty nice Rainey interview/feature(Merle Travis is on the cover).
    There's a B&W photo of Rainey, sitting on a stool, playing in a studio...& his Fender P-bass has a Jazz pickup installed in the bridge position; he talks a little about how that came to be(& how he wasn't totally thrilled with it).

Does it get much better than "Kid Charlemagne", "Green Earrings", "The Fez", etc?

His stuff with Quincy Jones?
    How 'bout his work with Aretha?
    (You guys need to check out Young, Gifted, & Black...& I'll doublecheck to make sure Rainey is actually on that disc!). ;)

Another favourite of mine is the Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway album...Where Is The Love?.
    Same goes for his playing with Richard Tee, Ralph MacDonald, Eye To Eye(also produced by Gary Katz, this duo + studio cats sound alot like Steely Dan).

Great taste, feel, absolute master of "double stops"...can cover any situation in any musical environment. What more can one ask?!

...& let's not forget about The Archies!
    ;)

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think Chuck Rainey's session work is just awesome! But...I don't really care for that "Country" root-five slapping stuff he does in his instructional videos.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    lneal-
    I posted in your thread.
    Sorry...I don't have a clue, I'm 100% sure I never watched that program.
    Jerry Byers or Brad may know.
    ;)

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't know about Heat of The Night...I never saw it:( But I sure love Chuck Rainey!!! I love his playing with Aretha Franklin.....Rock Steady is badass! Check out the making of Steely Dan's Aja album video for some cool behind the scenes with Chuck!

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm sorry I don't do impressions.

But I will tell you that I love Rainey's work. He's in my top 5 list of bassists.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...you oughta.
    Cool tune, based on the same 'changes' to "So What".

;)

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, but after playing SO WHAT, I can't walk over D dorian for another 24 bars with any original ideas!