Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are builders using to write on headstocks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Aug 31, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am looking for something I can write Logos and serial #'s on the headstocks with, then spray poly over to seal andprotect it. any Ideas? :eyebrow:

2. inkjet waterslide decal paper, baby!

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yes I know about those. I want to know about writing on the bass like Tobias does on the back of the headstocks..t

4. do you mean 'hand' writing? I've used a fine point sharpie, but make sure the finish is level flat and has cured fully. You can also hand write with the sharpie on waterslide and then coat with acrylic or whatever you use, instead of printing.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yes I mean hand writing The problem with a sharpie is it will smear if you spray over it.t

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Depends on what you spray over it. I recently wrote some stuff on the back of one of my headstocks and sprayed a light coat of satin poly over it. It didn't smear at all.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Bud you did this with a regular Sharpie?....t

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yep. A genuine Sharpie ultra fine point.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I use a gold or silver paint pen to sign my headstocks. Can be found in any craft store.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    What about branding?

Oog

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    DZ have you been able to spray poly over it to protect it?

12. Acrylic will not smear it either. And it blends well with lacquer and polyurethane.

13. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses

I also tried to put a serial number on the back of my headstock with a gold colored paint pen like that before and it smeared like hell. What kind of pen is it?

i.e. brand name or sort of paint inside

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    DecoColor Liquid Gold. I have sprayed poly and lacquer over it with no problems at all. I think i even used a water based lacquer once and that was fine.

15. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I second the DecoColor Liquid Gold, fine point.

16. I might be the only on here, but I like the technique Carl Thompson uses for his logos. I'm not sure if he's using a branding method, or just taking a soldering iron to it, and heating her up really good and having a go at the wood, or not. Nevertheless, it's hella cool.

~Ryan

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    will try the deco gold hope they have silver too. Got any close ups of Carl's work?....t

18. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Sharpie has recently come out with a fine marker that is supposedly resistant to nearly all chemicals, including finishes. This isn't a normal Sharpie, it's like an upgrade. I'd check it out!

Whams

19. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Carl T. must just use a stamp/brander of sorts. The numbers look too blocky and perfect to be hand done.

if you go to his site: www.ctbasses.com
    click on the 'million dollar bass', scroll down to the pictures section and there's a picture labeled 'serial'.

20. I've just gotten a thick book from Home Depot with a bunch of cool tips and tricks in it and I think it's got the answer to how Carl gets the precise look. They suggest making a simple rubber stamp with thin line art and stamping the piece but tracing over it with a sharp point attachment on the wood burner. That way, you get the precision of an expensive brand while only spending the $10 or so to have a stamp made.

BTW, Bud - I had to give your address label tip a try and went looking for labels that wouldn't turn with age. The manager at Staples guaranteed me that the Staples brand inkjet labels (SCNJ130) wouldn't turn yellow so I got a package of 25 sheets (250 labels - 19.95) of 2" x 4" address labels. I think I prefer the larger size because I can do a whole instruments worth of markings on one label, peel it and then leave the sheet for another. I have to say they work very, very well. I'm surprised at how thin they are and how precisely they take the ink - even gradations. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with this until something better comes along, if it ever does. Thanx!! :hyper: