Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are good P Bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I need some advice. I'm rebuilding a bass with parts my friend gave me. I have a Fender P bass body with volume and tone knobs. However, I need to put in new P style Pickups. I need something suitable for my band's sound (Hard Rock/Heavy metal ie: Godsmack, Disturbed, etc) I need something with good punch as well as bottom.

After reading reviews and doing some research, I'm kinda leaning towards Seymour Duncans.....either the Quarter Pound P Bass or the Hot for P bass pickups. However, I'm not too sure of what the difference is or what would be more of what I'm looking for. Could anyone out there give me some help or advice?

Thanks!!! I appreciate it.

2. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Seymour Duncan quarter pounders are a good choice. Bartolini's 8S is my preference and what I have in mine. High output for a passive and sound awesome.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Definately go for the Quarter Pounders dude. They sound great and they look incredible too. The poles are FAT!

4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Here's another vote for the Bartolini 8S.

5. The Barto's are a good choice, but I'm thrilled with my quarter pounders!

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The Quarter-Pounders are extreme lows and highs, while the Hot are a little less of that and more about the mid range.

7. The best passive P pups I have used are......Fenders. Funnily enough. Complex texture, tasty, punchy...Great pickups.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've tried the SPB-3, SPB-2, and Fender American Standard pups in my MIJ Precision. The Quarter-Pound was a bit clicky for my tastes. The Hot was very nice, but like Andy says, the Fender pickup has a more complex texture.

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    As a Seymour Duncan dealer I sell a lot of Quarter Pounders, but for rock music and the sound you describe I would seriously consider the Hot. It's got more bottom end and is more full sounding than the Quarter Pounder.

Black Rose Customs

10. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    I vote for the Hot. I've used the SPB-2 for about 6 years now, and I love 'em.

Bass Player did a review of P bass replacement pickups back in 1995. Me'shell Ogacello (I KNOW this is spelled wrong. Sorry) was on the cover.

They liked the SPB-2 slightly better than the SPB-3.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Damm right, except there are some (IMO) better pups available than the stock mexi ones.