Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are good quality amps for not much money?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alyosha09, Jun 16, 2000.

1. Alyosha09

Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    I need a new amp, but Im short on cash, so someone please give me info on what brands are good, but dont charge much. THANKS
    --ALEX==

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think that Crate amps are the best for the money. Check out my reviews in the dropbox or http://www.crateamps.com for a little bit more information.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm gonna jump in before the nay-sayers arrive, and agree with White_Knight. When I was looking for a new 100w combo amp, the best sounding amp I found that my wallet could afford was the Crate BX-100. It gave me a great sound that I didn't find in the Ampeg or Fender combo amps, and for less money. One advantage I found in the Crate is that it has a 5-band EQ that the others do not. I payed only $325 for it, and it comes with a 5 year transferable warranty. The carrying strap could be sturdier, but I'm happy with it overall.

[This message has been edited by gweimer (edited June 17, 2000).]

4. My first bass amp was a Peavey. I think they make a good amp and you can find used ones at very reasonable prices.

------------------
    Ciao
    Mike

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    If you're on a tight budget (aren't MOST of us?) the best thing to do is to look around for good used gear. You can pick up a lot more power and tone by getting a combo or head/cab that's a couple of years old, but still very serviceable.

6. merlijn

merlijn

Apr 30, 2000
    I think these days you can 't buy a new "bad" amp.

You could twenty years ago, but this day,
    when electronics are dead cheap, most amps
    are well made.

7. mljohn

mljohn

Jul 16, 2000
    Peavey...Peavey...Peavey

Hello...Hello...Hello

8. Gramatron

Gramatron

Aug 5, 2007
    its cheap as hell and blows the crap out of most other heads i have played through. I use two cutom cabs loaded with 15" peavey black widow PA drivers rather than laney cabs