Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are good rosins

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by veggieboy, Apr 24, 2002.

1. i have been using carlsson and occasionally pops for my whole life and i want to try some thing new any sugestions?

2. What's the point?
    Swedish, i.e. Carlsson or Nyman, and Pops are the most chosen rosins. Why change?

3. For variety! And because other rosins might be better.

Kolstein rosin is my favorite, and has been for a few years. Kolstein "soft" rosin works wonderfully; the perfect mix *between* Powdery and Gooey.

Carlson and Nyman rosins are waxy, grainy stuff, that just don't leave any finesse in the sound.
    Pops is nearly pure tree sap, and coats the bow hair so badly it's ridiculous. Pops was formulated for use in the very humid and slippery environment of Houston, TX. If you don't live and work there, don't bother, and save your bow hair the trouble!

4. Yes, there is technique to applying rosin.

Orchestrally speaking,
    First, hold the rosin firmly in the left hand.
    Set the bow on the rosin near the frog, and "bow" your rosin fast and with pressure, as if playing an Accented Sforsando in Mahler!
    In many rosins, this will result in many little "stringies" floating off the rosin - a sign that you got a good application.
    The heat from this fast and heavy stroke sort of "melts" the rosin into the bow hair, and this way, one or two strokes will put *plenty* of rosin on the hair. No "Caking It On" necessary.

I learned this from watching a major Principal Bassist for five years.

Kolstein "soft" rules.

5. K.O.
    To paraphrase an old maxim, "better" is in the ear of the bowholder. While I agree with you on Pops, there's a bunch of players in your predecessor's new orchestra who use Pops, and they're a long way from Houston.
    If variety of sound is the goal, changing rosin is alot cheaper than changing strings, for sure.
    My response was simply in the "If it ain't broke..." etc. mindset.

6. I hear you.
    But who is "my predecessor" and "new orchestra"?
    I know a lot of people who use pops far from Houston... their bow hair would love it if they stopped.

But really, to change rosins effectively, you aught to get a re-hair anyway, so it's going to "cost" either way. Then your re-hairs will be fresher, longer, without Pops....

And yes, I have used Pops. I consider that one of the darker periods in my development!

Wait, do you mean Kingsley, and the Met? Well, they are on the coast... but Louisville gets really, really humid too, so I'll be sure to let everyone know if Kolstein still out-performs and out-lasts Pops after this summer season.

7. Yup, Kingsley.
    For the bowmaker's perspective, have you ever discussed this with Sue Lipkins? I know she and you both post on 2X. Actually, she mentioned Pops to me a few years ago when she lived in the same area as me and the Met. From what I hear, it flakes off and makes a mess of the bass. And yet, these people still use it.

8. About the Pops, I understand better why it works
    so well in Rio. I´ve never been happy with Nyman´s
    and Carlsson, since you never controle when it gets sticky. And I use it sparingly...

If someone knows a rosin that works so well like the Pops, but would be finer, less sticky, please
    let us know...

9. KOLSTEIN ROSIN ("soft" grade)! Perfect mix between gooey and dusty - it's at neither extreme, but has all the admirable qualities without the problems.

When I first tried this stuff, I loaned it to my teacher, who had used Nymans and Carlson for YEARS. He changed to KOLSTEIN quickly, and soon most everyone at IU had tried it and liked it.

10. I really like the Kolstein soft too , nice grip without feeling to gunky. It's been working well with the this redish hair I've been getting from Robertsons.