Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are good upgrades for a '62 Reissue Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jan 8, 2005.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hello,

I own a custom '62 Reissue Jazz bass i got off of eBay, but I got screwed somewhat in the pickups, I believe they're just standard pickups, but the neck pickup turned out to be half-mangled on the inside, which cuts down on the full ability of it...
    either way, im looking to upgrade. what are some really decent (forget the cost for now) pickups with some kickass warmth, prominent mids and clarity in the high end? I also play a Warwick and it's equipped with MECs...are these available outside of Warwick? (I've only seen them on Warwicks) I like them a lot.

Thanks
    chris

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a set of Nordstrand NJ4s in my parts Jazz (alder/rosewood) and love'em. Fralins might be another good choice. Brian (nice guy and a TB supporter/advertiser) at www.bestbassgear.com carries both and I would suggest you contact him.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1

If you are interested in the Nordstrands, you could also contact Jay Lewis at www.blueberryhillbass.com I bought my Nordstrands from him, and the service was awesome.

I have also dealt with Brian at www.bestbassgear.com
    Excellent service there too. IMHO you won't go wrong either way :hyper:

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/

Jason's stuff is amazing...check his site out, pretty impressive client list, literally wrote the book on winding your own pickups, and he can customize them to your liking.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sadowsky Humcancelling J's
    Nord NJ4SE's

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    personally,I'd leave it the way it is,and buy another Jazz Bass to "hack up that is not so expensive like the American standard Jazz Bass it not expensive and it is a good bass that realy has that tru Jazz bass tone and hot rodding it would make it a killer instrument if it's done right but that's just me.

7. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    MEC? Yuck.

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II? Smokin! :D

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA