Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are Ibanez pups like? Quality & sound wise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jetmech727, Mar 3, 2005.

1. jetmech727

jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    Just want to know what there factory equipment is like. In particular the BTB300BG Bass with the SPJ-4N neck pup and SPJ-4B bridge pup.

Thanks

2. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    As far as the bass ones, ive played a few and they were o.k. my friends Ibanez guitar's pickups were alright. There alright I guess, there no MEC pickups but they dont sound like crap, there good enough, and some of the ones ive played are a bit loud, Just put in some EMGs or something when u get the chance, I love my EMGs! :bassist:

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the stock pups in the low end GSR's really aren't that bad. In fact I did a review on them in Dimento's P, J, and PJ pup experiments. Seems Bass Player Mag did a review on the later model GSR (now with a pre I believe) as well and gave it a good rating. They sounded better than a lot of Pups I've paid $60 - $100 for: including a pair of Ken Smith's J45's. And they must be humbucking cause they were pretty much quiet from what I remember. I'd say they were probably in the top 40% percentile at least.

4. if you have stock pickups in a guitar or bass under 600$, the pickups suck.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That's one way of looking at it.

I've had over 50 sets of bass pups from low end imports to Lane Poor, and I have not found that to be the case at all. Seems Smash had said something about being relatively impressed with some Fender MIMs (I've had MIJ's but not MIMs). To say you get what you pay for is a gross generality as there are plenty of exceptions.

One of my favorite sets of pups reportedly came out of an Epiphone T-bird. Cost me about $3 shipped. The Lane Poor was 60 times that and they're actually similar in many ways. The LP isn't any better, it's just different. At any rate, the LP will most likely move down the road in the future but the Epi's stay.

6. You probably like the sound of those pickups though, not the quality. you can usually find some pickups that sound alike, but better. but sometimes you get some good stock pickups, my 160$ fender jazz copy had pretty nice single coil j pickups, they are hum cancelling when used together, and usually only 700+ $ fenders have reverse wound pickups. you never know