Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Are Ibanez Thinking???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tristan, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Last summer i was in the market for a bass. I wanted an Ibanez ATK, but i found out that they were discontinued. I waited for a used one but gave up and bought a Yamaha. I recently found out that the ATK is still available, but only in Japan...

WHY???

This is a great bass, and IMHO the only ibanez worth it's price.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I think the same.
    I had the ATK300 a while ago, and It was great.
    I sold it because I moved to 6 strings.
    I dont know why the ATK500 never got its market in the US.
    And how in Japan there is even an ATK1005 wich has the triple coil pickup, plus a single coil in the J position, and a 5 position pickup selector.
    Improved neck and body woods. Figured top. etc etc.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's the classic curse: the instant a mass production company comes out with something good, it gets discontinued. Examples: Yamaha's Weddington and (original) TRB, Washburn's J10, Ibanez's AFR and S-body basses...

God forbid a company should sacrifice its profit margins for a little bit of respectability.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My answer to this question would be (in evil mad scientist voice) : "How can we screw more money out of these naive fools!?"

Only joking Ibanez!! ;)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's all marketing. It didn't sell in the USA as good as the other lines i.e. sound gears so they stopped keeping their warehouse full of basses that didn't sell. In japan, they sell, sell, sell!!!! So they're still available there. I didn't like those basses anyway, Just my opinion.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well there is Marketing and Marketing. Fender undoubtedly have a Marketing strategy and it works, as they are incredibly popular and are used all over the world for all sorts of music.

But they stick with the basses that people like and make refinements based on what the players say. You know that you can buy a Jazz bass and it wonl't be discontinued next year and that people will still know what you're talking about, you will be able to buy upgrades/replacements parts and you will be able to sell it on ata reasonable price.

So this is a Marketing strategy that works and keeps the customers happy, so they keep coming back to Fender.

Whereas Ibanez's strategy seems to be all working in their favour and not for the player or customer. So Ibanez basses are cheaper than Fenders in some cases, but you don't know if the bass model will be around next year or if anybody will know what bass you are talking about and they are all non-standard so you can't get replacment parts and it is unlikely that you will get a decent re-sale price - it all works against you.

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The point about Fender is well taken, but it seems that whatever they come out with sells. (Not everything) It dosent matter what it is, as long as it says Fender on it it'll sell. When I worked @ Sam Ash, I'd show poeple other instruments that sounded, played, felt better & were items that have been out for a while, i.e Yamaha BB-4N, Ibanez SR's Spector NS-2000. I'd put 2 different basses in their hands, I'd see that they like it equqlly or even better than the Fender counterpart, but thay'd buy the Fender. Then People wonder why some other companies discontinue a certian model..... etc. People buy Fenders because of what it says on the headstock, not because of marketing.

8. Fender is essentially conservative. But you know what you are getting. Also, the Fender people actually believe in their product. They actually have a sense of mission, odd though it may seem to some.

Not everything with Fender on the headstock sells. How many people have an Urge 1? What about the Plus and Ultra models? They didn't take and were withdrawn. What about the acoustic guitars? They have scarcely cornered the market there. And does anyone remember the HM Strats?

To me it looks as if Fender only really sells if it is a Strat, a Tele, a Precision or a Jazz bass. Or reasonable facsimile thereof.

9. Bruce Lindfield

But that is Marketing! One of the most basic tenets of Marketing is around "Building the Brand". If people recognise your brand, then you have won the first battle of Marketing; if they actually associate that brand with values that match your own then you have won the war!

My view is that Fender's Marketing is better because, as Andy mentions, they actually believe in their product, Whereas I don't believe that anybody in Ibanez today, has any faith in their products, so why should I?

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Gotcha!!!

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I also think that Fender gets alot of business based on thier prior reputation, what I mean is, that they have been around since 1954 (strats) and 1951 (bass) and people have come to know the name, have seen many a professional playing them as well, so it also gives them some piece of mind, that they are getting a quality instrament.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ah, those ATKs seem to float to Europe too, atleast local store has 305 and Prestige 1300 -models.

They do have nice feel, I even considered buying ATK100 when they were on sale.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well this is down to a Marketing strategy - Fender could have decided that they were going to introduce 15 new basses and discontinue production of their classic ranges - but their Marketing strategy in recent times has been to go for continuity. They have had "wobbles" in the past!

Whereas Ibanez have not - for example they had some great basses in the past - like the Musician, which was used by a number of well-know pros like Sting. They could have gone for product continuity and kept producing this each year, but they didn't.

Different Marketing Strategies. It's all about matching the product to the customer. Fender think they can do this best by continuity and Ibanez are obviously looking for the Market segment that wants something new each year - more like the console gaming industry.

14. Well, for what it's worth, As far as I can tell Bruce said it, and said it well several posts back....

15. i love ATK basses. when/if i get a job, im gonna try and find one on ebay.

16. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I got an ATK-300
    It's pretty sweet. I like its versatility.
    /lovebown