1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are my choices?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kat86, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Kat86

Kat86

Apr 29, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    I seem to have a bass that I am unable to sell. If someone was to buy it they would need to put money into fixing it. (The neck looks like it's coming apart, and the fingerboard needs fixing).

It wasn't like this when I bought it a few years ago, but as a beginner I didn't know how these mass produced Chinese basses were made, and how it would come to haunt me.

No one that knows about basses will buy it, and I would feel bad selling it to another beginner. What CAN I do?

2. you could donate it to a Luthier, or better yet a High school woods teacher that needs a project for his students. Or to a school orchestra. Any of theseyou would be doing something charitable and would receive a tax break in return.

3. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Better not to sell it to someone,maybe give it away to someone who cant afford one.Not much cash?look at sx basses. Rondo music.com

4. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    If this one of "those" basses that routinely get trashed on this board, the cost of getting it fixed is probably more than the value of the bass. Nonetheless, you may want to have it checked over by a luthier to help you decide that question.

One option is to sell it to someone who can turn it into one of those double bass CD storage cabinets or bars. After all, does it not already have a "bass bar" ???

Example: http://freshome.com/2008/01/29/contrabass-shaped-storage-cabinet/

Another practical solution from your friends at Talkbass.