1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are my options? 6 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Apr 15, 2006.

1. I decided to get a 6 string bass around September with the money i would earn from my summer job. I figure i would make around 2000$ for about 6-8 weeks worth of work. What are my options with regard to buying a bass? Should I put one together from Warmoth or should I buy from a company? With this money what are some good 6 string models?

2. If that were my budget for a sixer I would look for a used Modulus Quantum or a used Roscoe. You can do a lot better than Warmoth in that price range.

3. On bass central those used basses are around 5k

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You can also check out Matt Pulcinella basses. You can pretty much get whatever you want and have a nice custom bass for what you're wanting to spend. I have 3 of his Level 5 basses,and I've already talked about building a 6 string. I may start the process on that next week. You have lots of options available,so take your time and try out as many as you can to help you decide exactly what you want in a 6 string.

5. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    ooh ooh ooh.

a modulus would be a great choice. those things are killer, they have graphite necks and wooden bodies so you get all the stability advantages of graphite but you still get a nice woody tone.

http://www.modulusguitars.com/v2/gallery/Gallery/Q6_Figured_Walnut_SemiHollow_Fretless.jpg

heres one off there site.

they are going for about $4500 brand new at basscentral but if you look hard enough you might find a used one in your budget.

Dave

6. that is very nice. i read around the forums and roscoes tend to have a warmer tone than modulas? how do the EMGs in the modulas sound vs the barts?

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

In that price range check around for used Roscoes,MTD,Pedulla's.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You never know,it might still be around in August.

10. I would figure that that bass would go fast. real fast..

11. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

i think that the emgs would sound ok,

but i find that they tend to have a tone that doesnt fit as well as the barts do in funk, R n B and jazz styles.

they do have a harder edge and a bit of a higher treble responce compared to the barts which i find just sound groovy!

Dave

12. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    any one got any sound clips of their Modulus with either Barts or EMGS?

13. Yeah it looks like i need a bunch of sound clips...Modulus, Roscoes, MTDs, EMGs vs Barts...I searched the forums and i found a thread on Modulus but i can't really find any on Roscoes, does anyone have sound clips of MTDs or Roscoes?

14. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
  15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

For $2,000 you can get a great used Roscoe, Pedula, Modulus, Zon, Elrick, and maybe a F Bass or MTD. Once again, all used.

My personal favorite is the Roscoe. I just sold my six string just to finance a 5 string with many of the same specs.

If you are interested in the Modulus, I prefer the Barts over the EMGs. It's been quite a while since I checked them out, so I don't remember why.

Good luck.

16. yeah i've been hearing alot about Roscoes but i just can't find a sound clip. i would have to travel to NYC to get to a store to try them out, i'll probably do that when school ends in June..

17. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
  18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id definitely go for a used Roscoe or MTD. They both are great, Im not sure which I like more.

19. thats one nice F-Bass, but the total would be 3.6k =/