Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are my sealed cab options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Feb 16, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, you have your Ampeg 'fridges, your Bergantino NV-series, and some GK cabs 210SBX and 410SBX), but what other options are out there for sealed cabs? Seeing as how I am delving into the world of tube power amps, I might as well check out a sealed cab or two. I am mostly interested in something smaller than an 8x10. Even the NV-series Bergies are bigger than I'd like (but they sure do sound good).

Thanks, Tom.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, you could take some of your 327-odd cabinets and just stuff old rags into the ports............... :p

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    And there's always duct tape!

I do look forward to trying out my new Mesa Strategy with my current stable of cabs, but every dang one is ported in one way or another, and I must admit that there is a certain special sound to a tube amp into a sealed cab.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm not a big Hartke fan, but it does look like at least some of their Transporter series are sealed designs...

5. Run away.....:D

The only Transporters I've seen are ported, but they might have a sealed one....

Berg is the way to go here, as far as I'm concerned. The NV-series cabs are just beautiful sounding and surprisingly easy to move around.

I would like to hear the GK ones though..

6. I believe the Ampeg 410HE is a sealed cabinet, and perhaps the 210HE is, as well? :confused:

However, I'd jump all over a Bergie. Though they are 'large' cabs, they are surprisingly shallow, and very light for their size - extremely easy to move, considering - as well!

The Ampeg 410HE for example is 91 pounds - which is the same weight as either the NV610 or NV215.

Those Bergs are absolutely PHENOMENAL cabinets.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Fender 410. Not the pro series. They are seald, and are pretty good cabs.

8. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I, too, am interested in a small, sealed enclosure such as a 1x12 or 1x10.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good points, all the way around. Yup, the NV215 really impressed me. I wanted to check into any other smaller options, first. But in the end, Jim B. is probably making the best sealed cabs right now.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, my local dealer might have one of those. I may have to check it out.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have an e-mail in to Don at Low Down Sound. I'll let you know if he has anything to offer.

12. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've been looking into sealed cabs lately too. I played the Hartke 810xl yesterday. It had that characteristic Hartke tone - not too different from the 410xl but bigger sounding. I liked it but it left me wondering if it could handle 800 watts as it is rated. The drivers were moving quite a bit with a Hartke 3500 driving it. It also weighs about 140 pounds.

Otherwise what's been said above is true except I don't think Ampeg makes a sealed 2x10. Their 410HE is supposed to be a great cabinet but as is stated it weighs only slightly less than the Berg 6x10. Cheaper though. I haven't tried either yet. The GK 410SBX is a little lighter and cheaper but I haven't heard that one either. I'd like a couple of sealed 4x10s that would weight less than 80 pounds each. The Fender mentioned above is the only one that I've found that meets those criteria. I played one and it didn't have enough low end by itself for my gigs but 2 would probably do it for me. It had a nice quick mid punch to it and decent low end for a small 4x10. I think its rated at 300 watts. I'd probably buy a couple if they came up used.

Seems like an inexpensive lightweight sealed 4x10 is a hole in the market that someone like Avatar could fill. Maybe Eminence doesn't make an appropriate driver or, more likely, the demand just isn't there.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I seem to recall Don at LDS making an 8x8 that was modelled to sound like an Ampeg 8x10. One would think that this would have to be a sealed cab. I haven't heard back from Don yet, but I am wondering if two sealed 4x8's might not be a good option. Or maybe one 4x8 and one 1x15.

14. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    the ampeg portabass series cabs are all sealed. They sound very good but tend to be relatively low in sensitivity

The sealed design is great with upright bass--much less likely to cause feedback

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I did not know that! It would be ironic to load in a 50+ lb tube amp to fire up a 20 lb cab! ;) Of course, that's just the 1x10. But I wonder what using two of the 2x12's might sound like? Hmmm...

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    call me mr. noob, but how does a sealed cab help with all tube setups?

17. I can verify what Tom states about the Berg NV sealed cabs. Very good. I will add that although a bigger cab it's the easiest big cab to move I've ever ... moved. It's not my all time favorite cab (my Berg HT/EX are) but it's very very impressive, and will whoop your buns at close to medium range. Very sweet tones ta'boot.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am quite the noob in this regard as well, but it is my understanding that tube amps can get a bit flabby sounding in the low end with ported/vented cabs (though I cannot tell you the technical cause of this - maybe slew or recovery rate as compared to SS amps?), and in a sealed design, where there is less speaker excursion, this problem is ameliorated.

Tom.

19. The Bag End S15B-D has a removable port cover, so it can be used ported or sealed. It's a pretty monstrous cab, but I can lift it with one hand rather easily. Most dealers don't seem to keep one in stock though for you to try out.

Sean

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :eyebrow: You have my attention....