1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are my synth options?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Distant Cousin, Sep 17, 2010.

1. I just joined a very synth heavy rock band. I've been shown a couple of songs and for some of them I need a fairly specific synth sound. It's very close to 1:16 in this video

The filtering is slightly different and it's kind of distorted. Can I do that with the SYB-5? Or are there any other options I have that are more flexible? Like combining a distortion, flange, octaver or something...

Whatever it is, it needs to be as cheap and as easy as possible; I'll need to have a sound dialed in within the next month I reckon.

Also, I say cheap but I'm wanting to start setting up a proper pedalboard that can handle pretty much anything so I'd be willing to invest in some decent boxes.

Cheers!

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    It sounds like you're after the dubstep wobble sound. There are pages and pages of threads popping up on this topic, so searching that would be a good way to start.

AFAIK there really aren't any easy ways to get the perfect wobble sound on bass. It involves square and/or sawtooth waveforms going into an lfo-controlled filter. Most of us trying to do this are using octaver >> gated fuzz >> filter, but the perfect filter for this is in the process of being invented. Our own Taylor Livingston is going to release one called the Bubble Chamber when he's done designing it. Copliot FX is taking a somewhat different approach, though they also haven't finished their design.

A less cheap way to do the filtering (also one that you can do immediately) is to get a filter with a CV expression input and a cv lfo/expression controller. So you would need something akin to the Moo MP-201 and a Moog LPF, WMD Super Fatman, Robot Factory Brain Freeze, etc.

If you need a wobble sound in the next month for cheap, I would suggest you nab a Behringer BSY600 (it's a $30 copy of the SYB-5 though some people like it better) and a decent expression pedal (the Moog EP-2 is nice and $40). After that you can slowly build up a robust synth board with better sounding individual units.

Heh, I guess I went and explained all of it after telling you to search :D

3. Hah, I guess you did! Cheers for the info.

I'm not quite after that dubstep wobble. It's similar but it sounds pretty different at the same time I guess. That SYB-5 sound is the closest I've been able to find. Can I hook that up with an expression pedal?

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yes, that's what you're hearing in the video at the end.

5. Ah, nice! Expression pedals aren't too expensive right?

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
  7. Let me google that for you! that's great!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021