What are our thoughts on the Violent Femmes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I really think they are pretty awesome myself. Interesting though, a lot of there stuff has pretty cheap garage band recording, but the music can be pretty complex sometimes. The bassist has very little low end in his tone it seems, and he's a definate shredder. His bass solos, I don't know if I dig a whole lot, they are OK, and they often add to the song, so I can't complain too much. His tone is pretty... well it takes getting use to. His riffs are pretty cool though. They do quite a few countryish songs which proves my point, if country was less twangy vocals, I would like it.

Country Death Song = Pizzlestains

I didn't know anything about them, aparently Blister in the Sun is/was a hit. Never heard it, my old roomate listened to them all the time, so they were a bit over exposed for a while, but I ran into a copy of Add it up which is a compilation. They may be a band that all I need from them is a best of, but you never know. :bassist:
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I like some of the Violent Femmes stuff. I like the bassist's riffs, they're fun and crazy. I think they always play acoustic instruments, which explains the bassists' tone. I've seen pics of them playing, and the drummer usually only plays a snare and a high hat, I've also seen pics of them playing acoustic with the drummer playing a recycling bin with a piece of cardboard over it. When I'm in the right mood, they're awesome. I'm surprised you haven't heard it. I'm sure you;ve heard the riff, it's very pervalent.
  3. i think they're great. blister in the sun was a big hit about 10 years ago.....actually, that whole album was great. another big hit from that one was 'american music'.

i agree about the country without the twang, you should check out Ryan Adams (any album except rock'n'roll, it's more.....well...rock'n'roll). i think he's considered 'alt-country'. great music. another one that's country-ish but twang-free is a guy from ottawa named jim bryson. www.jimbryson.org is the site.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Every time we've played that tune every single person went nuts. It's a great jam.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my circa 1988 Alt cover band killed with Femmes tunes. My singer/guitarist had the same voice and quirkiness. We did 'Add it up', 'Kiss off', 'Blister in the Sun', 'Promise', 'Good Feelings', 'To the Kill' .... and my Favorite "Gimme the car"

Just about everyone in the clubs would sing along to the Femmes stuff... 'Kiss off' and 'Blister' were the biggies.
  6. my covers band do "Blister in the sun" also.

there seem to be lots of lead breaks from Brian Ritchie- I read in an interview this started out as the guitarist was limited technically, so the bass would solo instead.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think that it creates a great groove when done right. I swear that when I play a lead, people usually react more than when my guitarist does. I am not saying he is limited though, he could play circles around me. But there is something exciting about a bass lead, tastefully executed. Several of my favorites are setup this way, my absolute favorite being the Who.
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think the lead singer has quite a twangy singing voice for a non country guy...I don't understand.

Oh well, I don't care for them at all.
  9. they are ok, I am not shure wether they have released anything recently, but it wood be intresting if they did.
  10. Even if you think you never heard "Blister in the Sun", you heard it ;) It's probably one of the most recognizable riffs of the past 20 years.

The Femmes are one of those bands that I've never really gone out of my way to listen to, but I like everything I've ever heard by them. Their self-titled album (which I only own on cassette for some reason) is brilliant, and I borrowed that Add It Up comp from a friend for a while; another good one. There's something about their all-acoustic sound combined with the singer's voice that makes the music sound so tense, and their best songs are the ones that emphasize that, IMO..."Kiss Off" is my fave (there are few pieces of music more powerful than that counting crescendo), but "Gimme the Car", "Blister in the Sun", "Add it Up", etc are perfect examples as well. And of course, Ritchie smokes!

Okay, I need to go buy that CD now.
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The Femmes are pretty cool. They make me think of my Jr high / early HS years. Blister In The Sun and Add It Up were huge hits and great songs. But - for alternative rock from that aproximate era, I prefer Social Distortion.
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like the Violent Femmes. They are pretty cool.
  13. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I was really big into them in my junior high years too. Brian Ritchie's playing was actually what got me interested in bass in the first place. Yeah, they all play acoustic instruments too and supposedly used to play on the streets instead of normal rehearsals. Story goes that they got their start when the Pretenders heard them playing on the streets before a concert and invited them to open for them.
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wow!! That would be one heck of a way to do it. :)