Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are pick ups exactly?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by apfroggy0408, Jun 24, 2005.

1. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    So ya, I'm confused about what these are. Are they the things that distort and make the guitar play different sounds, or what? Sorry for acting stupid or whatever but please help.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are basically a coil of wire with a magnet hanging around the inside of the coil of wire, usually. The magnets have a magnetic field, and when the strings vibrate from your playing, the magnetic field changes. This change causes electricity to be created in the coil of wire. This is the signal that is put into an amplifier and eventually out of the speakers.

3. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Ok thanks, could you tell me what the things are that change the guitars sound by pushing down on a pedal type thing. Are those called pedals? Iv'e been playing bass guitar for around 4-5 years and just now I'm going into distortion, and different sounds to better help my tunes.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, those are effects pedals. They generally are activated by a foot because, when you are playing, your hands are busy.

5. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Ok, thanks. Now I go to the effects forum for more answers.