Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are Samarium Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Hey I know that my Fnder Jazz Deluxe MIA which I got 5 months ago has "Samarium" pickups they told me Fender had said that they found a better brand of pickups that cost them the same amount as the pickups in previous Deluxe models. Have you ever heard of them?

2. Samarium Cobalt Noiseless for long. Basically Fender's new Noiseless line on American Deluxes. I've tried them and the sound is just sweet. Clean, bright Jazz tone. A bit more mellow than my 98 Jazz, very much noiseless and still with that Jazz feel.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Thank you joey! and if you ever do happen to come back to thiis thread whats cobalt mean?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Cobalt is a metal. Samarium Cobalt is a certain alloy that is magnetic, and is used for the magnet structure of the pickup.

5. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    They're pretty powerful, but not as cool as the Ninjaite pickups.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pups in the Fender dlx basses were developed by pup maker Bill Lawrence. This is the same guy who made the pups for the Roscoe Beck bass. Bill worked with Fenders research and developement to make a noiseless more vintage sounding pup. The pups in the above mentioned 98 jazz bass (I have one of those too) are designed by John Suhr. Suhr left Fender that same year thus the start of the "noiseless pups. People have said (myself included) that the 1/4 slug Suhr pups sounded better than the noiseless pups. It seems like the noiseless pups got a boost when 18v pre's were installed in dlx jazzes. With the arrival of the Samarium pups The basses seem to be alittle more refined with a thicker low end.