Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some 200-300 watt amps that can carry a 2 ohlm load

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VictorLeMonteWooten, Jan 28, 2001.

1. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I know there is a SWR Workingman 300 (now discontinued), but what else is there?

2. funeralsalvation

funeralsalvation

Jan 28, 2001
    if you are willing to do the pre-amp/power-amp thing,then you will find many power amps that can handle 2 ohms. my mackie can do 2 ohms per side sterio 800w each.and it was only 450.00.plus if you want to get crazy you can pump a full 1600w at 4 ohms(bridgd mono)if you dare.you can use it cover up all the drummer/guitarist mistakes.they have been too loud,too long.now we can fight back!!!!!!

3. >but what else is there

The Peavey Combo 115 can handle a 2 ohm load.

John

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Acoustic Image Clarus 300w head 2 ohm

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Almost all Peavey amp heads can handle 2 ohm loads.

All SWR "pro" amps (350, 750, SM series, etc.) can handle 2 ohm loads.

Keep in mind that almost ANY amp that handles 2 ohm loads will run pretty hot. I've used my SWR with 2 ohm loads and you could actually feel the heat radiating from the head if you stood close to it!!! The amp worked fine but it didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that it ran that hot. Make sure you have adequate ventilation if you do this.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Also the Peavey 210TX combo -- same power plant as the Combo 115. Both put out about 200 watts at 4 ohms as configured, but can handle an additional 4-ohm cab as well, bringing to system impedance down to 2 ohms and putting out a total of 300 watts.

7. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    which ones can i get around $200-300 used?

8. In reality, it's not a good idea to run a bass amp constantly in band gig conditions at 2ohms. You are asking for unreliability and possibly a short life (the amp, not you), due to the extreme heat generated. If your cabs total 2ohms, you are much better advised to run a proper stereo power amp. Sure manufacturers state that their amp will run at 2ohms, and in a bench test with a stable load, they probably will. But in the real world, speakers do not present a stable load to an amp. Their impedance rating is only nominal, meaning it fluctuates according to the signal coming in. Your 2ohm load could actually be dipping to 1ohm on occasion, causing all sorts of internal heat problems in your power amp section, and no fan is gonna save it. That's why most sensible makers specify a minimum of 4ohms. If the load dips to 3ohms during fluctuation, no problem. The stereo power amp with 2x4ohms capability (ie total 2ohms)is a much safer bet.

9. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    You can probably find either of the Peavey combos for the high end of that range.

10. funeralsalvation

funeralsalvation

Jan 28, 2001
    is it also true that when you present an amp with a lower impeadence it also lowers the damping factor of the amp?if so,what does this sound like?i thought a high dampening factor was very important,somthing about back emf and accutely controlling cone motion!who knows?i would love to know more about this subject and how it relates to bass.

11. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    thanks everyone for the feedback, it will definatly affect the purchase of my new head in the future (i hope it is more sooner than later).