Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are some 5-string basses that have wide string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Jul 7, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I'm looking for ones that have the same string spacings as most 4-stringers, but with an extra 5th string...... so it's like a 4-string bass but with a 5th string of the same wide string spacing. I know BTB's got wide string spacing but i don't like all Ibanezes.

thanks!

EDIT: $500-800 budget.

2. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Warwick Streamer Stage 1 or any Warwick with the "broad neck" option.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Laklands
    MTDs
    R basses
    Kinals
    Those Cort JP Elricks
    also Elricks
    F basses
    Smiths
    Pedullas (the thunderbolts have slimmer spacing, the MVPs and Thunderbass have the wider spacing)
    MPG
    Sukop
    Sadowsky
    Curbow
    Modulus Genesis (not the quantums)
    Warriors

Just a couple I have played, there are some more, and more importantly, some builders offer the option. For lower priced axes, MTDs, Lakland Skylines, and the Cort JPs are your best bet IMO. There are probably some more......

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Most of the Fender fivers: I know for sure that the Roscoe Beck 5 and Precision 5 are wide. I believe the Marcus Miller 5 is as well.

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Try the Fender Roscoe Beck 5. I'm not sure if its true but I read (here maybe?) that "the neck is the same width as a 6, giving you the spacing of a 4 on a 5 string." I have one and the string spacing is like a 4. Makes thumbing/popping easier.... YMMV.

For a stock Fender bass, this one sounds great, is well made with superior electronics and hardware and excellent fit/finish.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    yamaha, MTD, Lakland. Those are the three that come to find. There are others.

7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Those are freakin awesome basses.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender Roscoe Beck 5 (perhaps my favorite) has the common "wide" spacing: total nut width of 1-7/8", with 3/4" (19mm) string spacing at the bridge.

Modulus offers a "wide" option on it's Quantum 5 bass: it's a Quantum 6 bass but with only 5 strings. Nut width is 2", and string spacing at the bridge is over 22mm. I've never played one, but it's probably a bit much for me.

9. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    OOPS, I forgot to mention that my budget is $800. or make that $500. It'll be my first bass. I've played basses many times before though. I'm a guitar player. :D

10. Look at the MTD Kingston series. Classic looks, great feel, wide string spacing, and can be had for about $600 and less.

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I second the kingston suggestion.

12. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had an Heir with a US Bart preamp put in, there was no need for anything else at that point. That was an awesome bass for under 500 at the time!

13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think he just said enough to end the thread man. :bassist:

14. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Schecter Model T-5(at least the J/J version, not sure about the P/J) has a fairly wide spacing. It's as wide as the Fenders(same size pickups, probably same bridge).

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bass Central has a Lakland 55-01 for about $499. That's perfect for what you're looking for and it's well within your budget.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky 5 strings have a good string spacing.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    too bad about the budget
    lamar is right on the money
    also, alembics have necks like ironing boards - way too wide for me, but some cats dig 'em

18. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Carvin's BB75 comes with their wide neck. The same neck is optional on the LB75 and XB75. It is 3/4" from string-center to string-center at the bridge saddles (though I've been told by another customer who actually measured it that it's slightly wider than that even). The string spacing at the nut is narrow though, giving it a taper to the neck. I love that setup. Up where the frets are far apart, the strings are pretty close together. As you move toward the bridge, where the strings start spreading out, the frets are closer together. So the reaches are not difficult for me. I have average or smaller hands, so that's an issue for me. But down where I pluck the strings, there's plenty of room for me to get my fingers between them.

[Whoops, a little over budget. The LB75 is $829 plus a little extra for the wide neck option. Add case and shipping and you're looking at well over $900.]