Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are some basses with really dark tones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 19, 2003.

1. What are some basses that naturally have dark tones....I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

2. ouch.......15 views and nothing said:(

should I explain what i mean?

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Stingrays can get really dark sounds if you put fender nylon tapewounds on em. Sounds really cool.

4. that actually sounds like a cool idea.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea please elaborate on "Dark".

If you mean like, "growl"?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If by "dark" you mean no top end, get a Gibson EB, or an Epiphone Rivoli.

7. Alembic
    Gibson
    Warwick

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I would have to agree with those choices. Some Smith's have a really dark tone depending on wood combinations. My experiences with Mahogany bodied basses leads me to believe that Mahogany will elicit a dark tone. I also think that Wenge necks and boards will darken up a tone, although this isn't always the case because I had a MTD that had a Wenge neck and board that was anything but dark.

9. Ovation Magnum
    Epiphone Rivoli
    Gibson EB2

Mike

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Warwick.

11. yea.......I love how the Thumb's got that dark tone to it....my C-305's got mahoganey...on flat eq it has a nice dark sound to it.....just wanted to know what other kind of basses do, too.

12. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I agree with those who suggest Warwicks, it seems especially the ones with the Ovangkol body ie. thumb bolt, dolphin.

Dave

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Any black bass.

14. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Also agreeing with anybody who suggests Warwick. They have a really nice dark tone, and can have some good high end snap too. Their natural tone seems pretty dark and growly, with some surprisingly good MWAH (on a fretted) when played in the mid-higher registers.

15. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    P-bass with rosewood board and flatwounds the older the better. Strings not Bass.

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    woah woah....mtd 535..o yeah

steve

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i sat in rudy's music in nyc several years back trying to find the deepest sounding bass. at the time they had a really helpful salesperson (forgot his name), and they'd let only one person at a time try out basses. i A-B-ed all the warwicks they had there and wound up buying an active corvette, bubinga body and wenge neck. while i liked the sound of the others, this one won hands down for bottom end. it was MUCH deeper sounding than the thumb, but the thumb has it's advantages. it's a hell of a lot lighter, and i believe it would cut through the mix a little more becuase it seemes to have a bit more mids than the corvette. never used a thumb in a band situation though, so i can't say fer sure. i also put my corvette up against a 70s P-bass and it was deeper sounding. same for my MM sterling - but my MM is my baby.... i can't say anything bad about it, it's the greatest bass alive today :D . warwicks got a lot more bottom end though.

18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Rob Allen MB-2, or anything with a piezo PUP. One did wonders for my Fbass. I agree with the MTD thing, they can get real dark with no wooliness.

19. MWAH (on a fretted) when played in the mid-higher registers.

i thought i was going nuts cause i think the same thing about my warwick.

20. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    What about ergodynes?