Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some cabinets that arent in musicians friend, and are they any good>?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, May 26, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    im not fooled into thinking that all products that arent in the mainstream magazines or guitar shops arent of a decent quality,
    i just am not familiar with many companies other than those in say, musicians friend;
    for example ive never seen anything about the 4X10 by sonic that i own ,i paid 350 new its ported and has a tweeter, it maybe be cheap but it does have usable sound -so im certain there are other companies lurking under the mega corporate rocks that are worth checking out
    i dont really 'need' more cabinets; but i do want more cabinets, more speakers, more volume, and so on....... just because

this is the only other bass related resource i have||
    (except bass player mag, but im not too sure the $$ for production of this doesnt come from the same money tree as musicians friend or similar mainstream providers)still cool a mag dont get me wrong|| and im asking for fellow bass players' thoughts and experience on some under exposed,
    quality cabinets-
    something that if when im jumping around and it gets knocked off the stage through the crowd, down a flight of stairs, out a window, rolls down the street, and off a bridge- that i wont to have to follow because ive spent much more money than i really needed to on this one item alone

dependable usable sound and a basic design is what im aiming for
    if you know of a company that can offer this at a sane price (less than 1300 for one cab) id appreciate it if you shared your knowledge with me and possibly other uninformed bass players groovin their heels on this green earth

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey nink6, I have a Sonic too! Its a 6x10 with the SCF option. I like it a lot, but I thought Sonic's service sucked. I think some companies are content with being "small time" and catering to the people in their direct area only. I don't know that Sonic does any national advertising, as I haven't ever seen their products listed anywhere, including the GW Buyer's Guide that comes out every year. It may sound silly, but perhaps the smaller "mom-and-pop" companies don't want to be as "big" as the "big boys."

By they way, anyone that has never heard of Sonic, can see their stuff at sonicspeaker.com. This is NOT an ad, just information for my fellow bassists!

3. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    ive had my eye on that 6X10 by sonic for awhile; how much did it cost you if you dont mind my asking

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I got it new for 600 bucks, with the SCF option. I chose it over the 4x10 because 1) it has more speakers and 2) it was 4 ohms versus the 4x10's 8 ohms. I like it alot, but it's a beast to lug to and from gigs. I think Sonic lied to me about the weight of this thing!