What are some cabs that sound like...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cecile, May 29, 2004.

1. I'm looking for a cab that has the deep bass sound of a trace elliot but I'm wanting it to be able to handle 400+ watts (I haven't been able to find a trace that can handle 400+). Any suggestions?
  2. Ampeg SVT410HLF

Deepest 410 you'll be able to find for 700 new.

[handles 1000 watts. I'm 90% sure on this]
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    500w RMS actually... according to Ampeg's website at least.
  4. I think I'll have to argue with that! My Acme Low B-4 will blow away the HLF in serious low end any day of the week (yes, I've compared them) for a mere $695. However, it's going to need about 1000 watts or more to be happy.

Now, to answer the guys question; Believe it or not the TVX/TFX series cabs from Peavey might fit your needs. They have a very good balance of punch and lows. The 4x10 is a very versitile sounding cab or you could try a 2x10 w/115. The 4x12 would be an awesome cab with your 400+ watts. The prices aren't bad and Peavey has a solid warranty.

If cost isn't an issue I would look into the Peavey "Pro Series" enclosures, Eden "David" series (XLT line), or possibly Aguilar. There are as many options as the world has people so decide how much you're willing to spend and then start checking stuff out in that price range. Also, what amplifier are you using?
  5. washu

May 29, 2004
    southern MN, USA
    I just bought a SVT410HLF this week and I'm amazed that it can produce such a deep low end. Its awesome. I don't think you'd regret it if you bought one.
  6. SM900 with a Goliath III, it has a very bright sound and I'm trying to tone it down. BTW I don't really like ampegs.
  7. The SM900 is a pretty "bright" sounding amplifier (as are all SWRs I've run across) so you might want to start looking at "tweeterless" cabs. Once again, if cost isn't so much of an issue you might start with the Bergantino NV610. This cab has all the punch of the old Ampeg 8x10 but with much better low end response. Looking at cabs with 12s would be a good suggestion too like the Aguilar GS212. Maybe some of the small Bagend 15s would do the trick as well. I'll still stand with my original suggestion for that Peavey TVX412, it's a monster!
  8. Not sure you have these in the states but try a Labsystems cab....

I run one of the 2x12 with a trace AH600smx and it is sweet. Lots of big juicy low end and nice highs....not too bothered about these as it is used in a rock outfit.

It handles the 600 watts with ease. Infact i very rarely need to crank much pas half way.

ps...adding a 1x18 to go LOWWWWWWW
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    everything, Guy said... :cool:
  10. Thanks everyone, I'll keep my eyes open for the cabs you mentioned. :ninja: