What are some exercises for abdominal muscles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I want to tone and strengthen my abs, what are some good exercises to do that? Besides crunches and sit-ups, i know them already.
  2. Eh...when I go swinging on the traveling rings in Santa Monica, I use my abs a fair amount. Several times it's gotten to the point where I can't even sit up in bed the next morning, and the day after as well. But then again, I don't do much exercise anyway so that might be a factor.

Of course, this is also all in Santa Monica.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Crunches and sit-ups should be all you need.

If you want to increase the resistance, try propping your legs up on a bench or stool. You can also try putting a weight on your abdomen, but be very careful if you try this.

I have heard that walking upright (ie, in a proper posture) with a heavy backpack also exercises the abs. However, it shouldn't be more than 10% of your total body weight (more can cause back problems).

As for toning the abs, believe it or not, a change in diet helps the most. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, and drink a lot of water.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't forget that you can strengthen, build and tone those muscles as much as you want, but if they're covered with fat, nobody will ever see them. Diet and cardiovascular exercise are key components to this equation, (assuming you want the asthetic appeal, as well as the health appeal).
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i know that, i already have a good diet, i am pretty skinny, i don't have alot of fat on me at all

and thrash, thanks for the tips
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Make sure that you're also working the lower back muscles. If you don't, you risk pulling the spine out of allignment.
  8. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    yeah, lower back is totally where it's at.

What I find to be the ultimate ab/back/shoulder exercise is to use a curl-bar, or you could even use a full deadlift bar if you're big and bulky.

What ya do is you get on your back and put the put the bar up like you're going to do a bench press. Then from there you extend and lower the bar down in a circular motion until your hands are resting just above your shins. At this point you abs and back should be shaking a bit. Then you bring the bar back up in an arc, and then do the opposite, meaning you bring the bar over your head so that your arms are almost completely extended. This helps work the triceps as well.

I usually do 5 in a set.
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
  10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    One that really gets me is lying on your back with your feet up bicycle kicking. Another is lying flat on your back and trying to lift your upper body and your legs so that you touch your toes in the middle and you make a kind of v.
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    word...my wife just got that dvd set in the mail a couple weeks ago. it's insane! and it works
  12. try the ab-roller........I think it works really well.....I can do like a hundred sit ups and barely do 30 ab-rolls...and it makes such a huge difference..it's so much more effective.
  13. if your talking lower abs then leg lifts are ideal, you just lay down straight, put your hands under your back and prop your upper body up on your elbows, then you lift your legs to a 45 degree angle and lower them to about two inches from the floor while keeping yourself straight (especially your legs, do them in sets of hmm, 20.
  14. I noticed that after the last time I got really sick from drinking too much, my abs looked totally ripped. I don't recommend this, though.. :D
  15. I find if your watching TV lying down (on your back) and you have to lift your head up to see the TV, that that helps. "I watch a lot of TV and I'm in great shape!"
  16. frequent masturbation allso gives results :D
    (can I say that here? If not feel free to delete it)