Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some Famous Self-Taught Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Jun 14, 2003.

1. I just wanna know,'cause it seems everyone wants me to get one...

:oops:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaco was "formally" self-taught, as he put it.

But no bassist(or musician for that matter) is truly self taught, because of the breadth of information and ideas that they get simply from listening to music.

3. I figured I was gonna get some crap like that...

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    DOMO ORIGATO MR. ROBOTO is spot on about the self-taught thing. Nobody learns in a vacuum.

If self-taught is to mean no formal institutional training, tons of live experience, or long periods of study with a teacher, I'm stumped.

Billy Sheehan, Mark King, and Flea strike me as players who maybe never had serious "class" time but made it happen due to dedication and a long history of constant gigging.

Jaco didn't really have any formal education, but he deeply studied many players, worked hard, and had his compositional concepts bolstered by Charlie Brent on the Wayne Cochrane tour bus.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Arigato 20db pad-san

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stu Zender

7. i read somewhere that Jaco learn a lot from gathering with a jazz guitarrist..

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Les Claypool

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    every article or interview i read about flea he tries to come across as a self taught,anti-technique,everything about textbook music playing is for the birds and so on. when the truth to the matter is he was an accomplished trumpet player as a child, who had the luxery of jamming with his fathers jazz band and getting a crash course in music.i guess its cool to make people think its cool to be a self taught,non-conforming,musical rebel,who does things his way or the highway. :D . ti me it does'nt make a difference if you were self taught oir you went to the best school of music there is. music comes from the soul and no-where else.i respect honesty more than image. some forget when they get all wraped up in the fame what it's all about.
    THE MUSIC:bassist:

10. yeah....ok....;)

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Kieth Horne is a gentleman that comes to mind.

I also believe Norm Stockton never really had any formal training.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    McCartney.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Mick Karn.

14. aristotle chang

aristotle chang

May 25, 2003
    I think ryan martinie from mudvayne was self taught... though i believe he did get some education in theory from playing in jazz bands.

15. I heard that he is a very accomplished opera singer...

I think he's a great bassist...really good technique,sound,and looks cool live:)

I still need to get the new CD:meh:

Mudvayne is a good band...

16. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    It seems you're in luck!!
    Famous Self Taught Bassists* are half off on K-Mart right now!

*(Batteries NOT included)

17. not funny;)

18. HighestGround

HighestGround

May 10, 2003
    Quite the opposite actually, in the Star Licks video, he gives props to people who can read music and says that he wishes he could read music too. You also have to remember that he gave up Trumpet for bass when he was in his early teens and by about 20 he would of probably forgotten everything he learnt on Trumpet.

highestground

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I remember reading years ago that Mark King worked in a music shop and learnt off many of the customers by asking how they did the thumb thing. Also he was an acomplished drummer. The story goes that if his other band had got a deal first then he would have been known as a drummer.

Although I have a teacher (although I've had two lessons in a year) I personally think that we are responsible, ok we might pay a teacher or pester mates and family but we teach ourself. We develop ourself. Not convinced? Michael Manring studied with Jaco.

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pino Palladino, who apparently can't read music.