Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some good, cheap, instrument cables?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ibanezist, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    What are some good, cheap, instrument cables?

2. Venom are alright. I've been using them for a while now, and they are quite reliable, in my opinion at least. :)

3. I'm going to put three comments into this one:

1. Try doing a search, this is a well discussed topic.
    2. This thread is misplaced and i'm going to put it in Misc.
    3. To answer your question, Monster 100 cables are cheap and very reliable.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And when you consider the lifetime free replacement warranty, the price of the Monster 100 is very cheap indeed!

5. I'm part of the "make your own cables" crowd, I guess. I have an aluminum briefcase that holds tools, an extra set of strings, a pretty heavy extension cord, a couple of different kinds of wire, connectors and a soldering iron. Field repairs are pretty easy and soldering the end on a cable is a pretty good skill to have.

That said, I own a Monster instrument cable and don't care much for it. I don't hate it enough to throw it away, but Monster seems to add this auto-tangling feature in their instrument cables. After you take the time to unravel the cable and plug it in, it works just fine - until I turn around once. Then the cable becomes this snarling, twisted thing that tries to trip me every time I get close to it.

It's a good cable, but I don't care much for the Jekyll/Hyde performance. I'm waiting for it to die so I can make a replacement for it.

allan

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've got a Planet Waves cable - same lifetime warranty as Monster at half the cost. A cheap no-warranty cable will run you about $15-18, and the Planet Waves ran me $25. It seems to me that there's really no decision on things this close in cost.

7. Only i've heard of multiple situations where the PW cables cause major disturbances and cause the amp to overload

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Our own Bob Golihur will make custom cable at a very good price. Give Bob a shot.

Mike

9. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Allan, just wondering what kind of wire so you use to make your instrument cables. I made mine with a high resolution audio interconnect cable and they sound great. a/b'd then to the planet waves and didn't hear a difference, but a big difference with my cheep cables. I got puncher lows and smother, clearer highs. I thought about GeorgeL's but I had this wire left over after wiring the interconnects on my stereo.

george

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got one of those too. Works OK with my cheap basses, but will not work with my Zon, my Pedulla or my Cirrus. I think it's that stupid compression spring thingy. Worst $25 I ever spent!

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Planet Waves cable do state that there is a specific end for the instrument and amp - you can't just plug them in either way. I don't know why, but since I wanted the right angle plug, it doesn't get confusing for me. On the other hand, maybe I'm just using gear that doesn't get affected by the compression spring.

12. I've got one of those too, I just bought it last week with my amp. I figured I'd get a good cable, you know, good meaning more expensive than the one I had. Oh well, it works with cheap basses, and that's all I have.

13. gbenner asked...

Allan, just wondering what kind of wire so you use to make your instrument cables. I made mine with a high resolution audio interconnect cable and they sound great. a/b'd then to the planet waves and didn't hear a difference, but a big difference with my cheep cables. I got puncher lows and smother, clearer highs. I thought about GeorgeL's but I had this wire left over after wiring the interconnects on my stereo.

I'm not set on any particular brand - I just head out to Radio Shack, get a couple of Switchcraft plugs and a length of cable. I do look at the diameter of the center lead and the quality of the shielding and so far I can't tell any difference between the homegrown cables and my Monster cable.

allan