1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are some good companies aside from the big ones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, May 27, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Alright. I love the bass I have (Squier Precision), but I have a subtype of G.A.S. that I call C.G.S.S., or Chronic Gear Scoping Syndrome. Basically, I like to look at other gear in my spare time, with the idea that when the time comes to look at getting an upgrade, I'll have an idea of what I want, and won't spend as much time looking then. :ninja:

I've decided, though, that I want to try and shy away from the "mainstream"-ish companies for the moment, by which I mean the big bass companies, so I'm mentally trying to blacklist Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, and EBMM for the moment. After all, I know what they have. :p

What are some companies I should look at besides these?

2. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    Carvin.

3. Agreed; If I were in the market right now for a new bass I'd seriously look at Carvin.

4. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm liking this so far! Thanks.

*checks prices* :eek:

5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'd still like to see Carvin offer some precision style pickups/routing choices dang it.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Lakland, Ritter, Dingwall, Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Dan Electro (that ssnuck in there), Pedulla, Azonla, Bee, Dean, ESP, Ken Smith, NS Design, Peavey, Spector, Yamaha, Tobias, Fodera, should I keep going... ?

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
  8. G&L

9. Brubaker - Check out the Brubaker Brute series if you're on a budget.

10. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    There's definitely many more good small companies than good big companies but good is not exclusive to size.

11. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    I know that, but I'm mostly trying to look at different things, and I know the main offerings from Fender, Gibson, etc.

12. The small ones.

13. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think G&L is off limits, although I would consider it smaller shelf stuff. Mainly because Leo Fender is one of the founders --> The "L" of G&L. The "G" of G&L worked with Leo starting in 1948. Cool stuff, yeah?

That being said, I own way too many Laklands...