what are some good flatwound strings..(no $$$ concern either)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Just been wondering what some good flatwound strings are since I've actually yet to buy any!
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Anyway... the search is mostly borked as of late so here's what I'm pimpin'

SIT flatwounds. not the powerflats which are rounds squished to a slight flatness. They also make regular Stainless steel flats that they don't list on the site.

On a bart loaded fretless:

on an Ash bodied, Dimarzio Ultra loaded fretted:

...and picked even;

Two points to disclaim... first I hit many bad notes, it's something I've learned to deal with till I get better
    I still want to try on a set of TI jazz flats

[edit]I updated my website last night... figured I'd fix some recent links too[/edit]
  3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Thomastiks are sweet...Nice and soft...
    Rotosounds if you like a brighter tone..

4. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't have all those nifty recordings of them, but La Bella Deep Talkin Bass Flats are quite nice. I found they have a bit more meat to them than the TI's (nice, but too loose), and have a nice full sound.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I use Lakland Joe Osborne flats. Sold on the Lakland site.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    IMO, most flats are pretty good. The main differences seem to me to be tension and midrange emphasis. For instance, TI flats are low tension and have a lot of upper mids. Fender 9050 flats are high tension and have a somewhat lower midrange "peak" than the TI's. GHS Precision Flatwounds are pretty similar to the Fenders. Lakland Joe Osborn flats are pretty similar to the GHS strings, since they are made by GHS. Dean Markley flatwounds are very dark and thuddy, but I kind of like them. IOTW, they emphasize the low mids more. Rotosound flatwounds are pretty weird for flats, in that they are very bright, as bright as some rounds. They also have a monel final wrap, which is non-magnetic, making them "quieter" strings. They're pretty high tension compared to TI's.

These are the flats I have experience with. I haven't used La Bella flats much, but I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them.

For a flatwound newbie who is looking for the traditional flatwound sound, I recommend the following:

Fender 9050 L or ML (fairly high tension, cheap, long-lasting)

Labella Deep-Talkin' flatwounds

GHS Precision Flatwound or Joe Osborn Signature flats.

Keep in mind that this is all IME/IMO. YMMV.
  7. flatwound......you've just given me very valuable information.......thanks A LOT!
  8. pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    here is my somewhat limited experience with flatwounds.....
    they sounded fine, the difference was in the feel.
    fender: high tension/tight
    tomastik low tension / loose
    Ernie Ball group 3 flatwound - somewhere in between. i have kept them on
    and enjoy playing/using that bass occasionally
    [72 p-bass].
  9. thanks guys, it's just that I'm getting tired of using these D'Addario halfrounds...
  10. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    TI flats are the best ever!
  11. how much have you seen TI flats go for, with a .095 E string (my bridge on the Austin sucks with E strings, thinking of getting it bigger so I can put .110's..but not anytime too soon, $$$ is a bit short)
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have Ken Smith smoothrounds on my fretless and I REALLY like the feel and tone of them. They seem to cut through well (better than most I've played).
  13. Planet Boulder, I think I'll get those...I've loved every set of Ken Smith Strings I've gotten so far, so why not...