Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some good jazz bass pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bryhey, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Bryhey

Bryhey

Mar 23, 2002
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Im looking for good tone and a good deep sound...this isnt much to go on...but what do you think? All help welcome

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bass Player magazine did an excellent review on replacement Jazz pickups. I'd recommend that you first get a hold of that article, and then try doing a search of previous threads to see what people have recommended, based on their experiences.

I'll recommend the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz for it's vintage tone.

Good luck:D

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would recommend Lindy Fralin vintage jazz replacements. They are made and wound to spec of the originals. They sound amazing....deep and articulate. :D

4. Seymour Duncan Hot (not stack) for Jazz bass. I love them. Very bassy. Very loud. Very nice.

5. I'll put my .02 cents in,I vote for the SD Antiquity 2.Lots of bottom good mids and highs and smooooth.Put them in my MIM,awesome.

6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I just put a set of Fender Original '62 jazz pickups in my MIM fretless, and they just sing. Super nice pickups. They're a big improvement, and they make this bass a keeper for me.

There are a lot of great choices out there, and the Bass Player article outlines a bunch.

I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the "Top Tone" picks.

-Shin

7. Bryhey

Bryhey

Mar 23, 2002
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Ive decided to go with the Aero MP-181's......they seem like the most versitle...but another question...when you buy em, two are included right....cuz if not ill just buy a new bass for 300 bux (150 x 2)

Dunivan

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I really like EMG's active Jazz pickups.

9. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Bryhey

I would say that you have made a good choice. I just installed a couple of days ago a set of Fender Custom Shop 60's pups and they sound great., I also put a set of Daddario Chromes and that seems to be a great combo.

Steve

10. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    well if u want passives, then I'd recommend DiMarzio's UltraJazz, though if u want active pu's then I'd go for any of the EMG jazz pu's.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have some passive Bartolinis in my custom Jazz and I think they sound fine and dandy. Hummy because they are true single coils pickups but the sound is very nice.

12. emg active jazz or seymour duncan basslines

13. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
  14. Lindy Fralins are superb! I just got a new Lakland Joe Osborn and I am delighted with the sound.

15. What about DiMarzio Model J. They are bi-lateral (not stacked) humbuckers, and won a Top Tone award from BP.